Interference

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Pigdragon
Expert

Interference

Post by Pigdragon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:09 am

Anyone else getting interference issues when using wireless headphones with, say, an iTrack dock or similar?

Sounds like digital noise and it’s driving me crazy.

(iPad Air 2 / Auria Pro)

Nigel

wigglelights
Expert

Re: Interference

Post by wigglelights » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:07 am

That would depend completely on the brand of headphones you are using and how they are connected to your itrack dock. More details would help.

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:21 am

It doesn’t depend on the brand of headphones, I use two different ones (at different times), by Sony and Panasonic.
In both cases the transmitter unit is plugged into the iTrack dock’s regular headphone socket.

I suspect the problem may lie in the power input, as I am attempting to record in a caravan using the existing 12 volt battery.
If I use an inverter instead the interference is greatly diminished but then I get a high pitched whistle instead.

Nigel

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:55 pm

You are most likely on it, the lack of a good ground ( or as I presume you may call it earth) for components to share is the most frequent cause of hum.
Testing this on grid power would probably narrow it down for you.

Pigdragon
Expert

Post by Pigdragon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:09 am

It now seems it was the wireless headphones picking up the interference. Using wired ‘phones eliminates the problem. That’s a bummer, I’m always getting tangled up in leads (cords). But at least I can work now, so thanks for the suggestions.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Most audio components are very sensitive to the power coming to them. In your situation, going from DC to AC to DC, any power issues are multiplied well over what most components are designed for.
Possible solutions -
I’m a 110v US guy, but driving a ground stake outside your trailer and tying it to the ground of your converter may work.
Replacing your converter with an isolated converter may work.
Looking for a higher quality (more expensive/iso-ed circuirts) wireless transmitter may help.

Or just get a good quality headphone extension cable. I agree wire can be a pain, but I’m a big fan of copper when it comes to audio (as long it’s of good quality). Vitually no latency and the best bandwidth/most accurate representation of the music you’re making.

Best of luck making music on the road!