Mixdown is taking forever, whats wrong?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ericoschmitt

Mixdown is taking forever, whats wrong?

Post by ericoschmitt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:34 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to Auria Pro, and right now I'm exporting the second and final version of my first project using it. The status bar has barely moved and it's been 30min. The first version had a couple filters less and took some 2 hours, now it is looking like it will take the whole night, if it actually finishes.

My device is an Ipad Pro 12.9 1tb that is 1 month old and has only some 70gb used. No other apps open in background, I made sure to close everything before starting the mixdown, so no ram issues.

The project is nothing complex, but quite long. It is a violin and cello duo recital lasting 1h 20min recorded with a hand recorder closer and a phone filming from a few meters. Both devices sounded bad on their own so I decided I should try to "save" the audio with auria pro before throwing it back into the video.

-Each device recorded a stereo track at 44.1.
-In each track I added FabFilter Q3 with some 4 points, most are dynamic
-Each track has FF limiter
-One of them has FF compressor
-The master strip has FF Q3 with 3 points, FF reverb, and thats how I did the mixdown the first time.

Exported to WAV. It played well both in auria and the final exported file.

-This second time I added JAX convolutor PE and JAX stereo tool (btw, these two are so fantastic!). It plays just fine within auria.

I havent actually tweaked any of the auria's knobs for eq and whatever because its so much easier to use FF graphic interface, so all of that is flat or turned off.

So the problem is when I click to mixdown.... It is taking forever and the bar hasn't moved since I started writing this post.

I don't think it is normal to be this slow!! Ideas?

ericoschmitt

Re: Mixdown is taking forever, whats wrong?

Post by ericoschmitt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:04 pm

There is definitely an issue. The bar didnt go beyond a tiny bit, what would be 2%~, I tried againafter over an hour. I left the ipad there for over two hours and gave up, which means...

My mixdown isnt working. What do I do?

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:26 pm

it’s very hard to guess what’s happening in your case, but I just saw that a JAX Convolutor update was released. It says there was an problem with the sampling rate since the AU was only rendering at 44.1KHz and caused an issue in new iPads which have a fixed sampling rate of 48KHz.
You mentioned you are using new iPad Pro so I strongly suspect this can be the source of the issue you are experiencing.
I would suggest that you update the app and try to render the project again.
Hope this helps.
Rodolfo

ericoschmitt

Post by ericoschmitt » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:12 am

Double
Last edited by ericoschmitt on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericoschmitt

Post by ericoschmitt » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:22 am

Rodolfo wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:26 pm
it’s very hard to guess what’s happening in your case, but I just saw that a JAX Convolutor update was released. It says there was an problem with the sampling rate since the AU was only rendering at 44.1KHz and caused an issue in new iPads which have a fixed sampling rate of 48KHz.
You mentioned you are using new iPad Pro so I strongly suspect this can be the source of the issue you are experiencing.
I would suggest that you update the app and try to render the project again.
Hope this helps.
Rodolfo
Thanks! That update was released 6 hours ago, some 3 hours after I started having those issues. What you say makes sense, since the two JAX plugins were all that I added this second time. But I've read the update release notes and can't unders and half of it! lol But it must be it. I was slightly suspicious, but that convolutor sounds so good that I was intenrally denying it haha

It is downloading now, let's see what happens next. I hope it works now, because it sounds really nice.

I didnt know about that fixed sampling rate. Any idea why apple made it this way? Sometimes I wish these apps existed on android and there was a tablet this big that wasnt an ipad..

Yet, I mentioned that in the first mixdown without the JAX plugins, it already took possibly 2 hours. At the very least it took the length of the project itself (I wasnt clocking it). When Auria renders, does it do that in "real time"?
Another thing I remember now is that it wont render in the background, so I basically have to leave the tablet there rendering.. Is that how it is?

ericoschmitt

Post by ericoschmitt » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:02 am

That update by itself doesnt seem to have worked. Would restarting the device possibly make a difference?

Ive tried to mixdown into 16, 24 and 32bit, all formats as well... Nothing so far.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:27 am

My advice would be to create a copy of the project and shorten it considerably: that way you can test various permutations without needing hours for the file to render.

ericoschmitt

Post by ericoschmitt » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:03 am

Definitely it is an issue with JAX Convolutor PE. I made a copy of the project, removed it and compensated with a bit more FabFilter reverb and with JAX Stereo Tool to get a somewhat similar result, and the mixdown went fine.

BTW I set it to 16 bit and it was MUCH quicker, took 10 minutes or less. It seems that 24 bit is what makes it take 2 hours...

I also read some comments in youtube reviews that there have been issues with other apps as well, so the developer has some work to get done. Lets hope it doesn't take long!

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 am

ericoschmitt wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:03 am
Definitely it is an issue with JAX Convolutor PE. I made a copy of the project, removed it and compensated with a bit more FabFilter reverb and with JAX Stereo Tool to get a somewhat similar result, and the mixdown went fine.

BTW I set it to 16 bit and it was MUCH quicker, took 10 minutes or less. It seems that 24 bit is what makes it take 2 hours...

I also read some comments in youtube reviews that there have been issues with other apps as well, so the developer has some work to get done. Lets hope it doesn't take long!
Btw, Auria Pro has a convolution reverb (it may be an IAP) and Rooms! is a convolution reverb that lets you use your own IRs and is Auria mixdown compatible.

ericoschmitt

Post by ericoschmitt » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:12 am

Espiegel123 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 am

Btw, Auria Pro has a convolution reverb (it may be an IAP) and Rooms! is a convolution reverb that lets you use your own IRs and is Auria mixdown compatible.
I saw that one and tried it, but it doesn't make the same results. Maybe if I spend some extra time with it.

JAX has that stereo width knob and lets you shape the attack and decay curve, so I could reach a better result with it.
Plus it lets you pan the source and the reverb. I think I could make a workaround to that by doing the mixdown without it, then opening it in a new project, duplicating the track, applying the reverb to only one at 100%, and giving it a slightly different pan to each of the channels. But hey, that's too much to bother.

ericoschmitt

Post by ericoschmitt » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:30 pm

I have exchanged a few emails with Jens Güll, the first one was 12 hours ago, and I just received an email from him telling that he fixed the freezing issue. So I have to publicly congratulate him, he must have spent the whole day working on this!
He was really attentive and the comunication was great.

He says the update should be available in app store in few days, lets wait then :)

Maybe this topic should be closed now?

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:15 am

I think I should know the answer to a question I have about Apples default 48 khz sample rate, but I’ll ask it anyway because I’m tempted to buy an iPad Pro. If I record using an external interface will it work with a latest gen iPad Pro? I generally use a sample rate of 44 through a Babyface Pro. The only thing Ive been holding off buying a Pro iPad about are some of the issues other users have reported on this forum. Any info, tips etc is greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

Auria Pro
iPad Air 2

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:15 pm

Gary wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:15 am
I think I should know the answer to a question I have about Apples default 48 khz sample rate, but I’ll ask it anyway because I’m tempted to buy an iPad Pro. If I record using an external interface will it work with a latest gen iPad Pro? I generally use a sample rate of 44 through a Babyface Pro. The only thing Ive been holding off buying a Pro iPad about are some of the issues other users have reported on this forum. Any info, tips etc is greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

Auria Pro
iPad Air 2
People misunderstand the 48K issue. The issue is simply that more recent devices have a hardware sample rate (when using the speakers and SOME headphones) of 48K. If you have a class-complaint interface that supports other sample rates, you can generally set the sample rate to any that the device uses. A lot of people use 44.1 kHz with audio interfaces when running on an iPad.

I think that a lot depends on how compliant the audio interface is. Some interfaces are more easily configurable than others. It might be worth tracking down information about that interface with iPad Pros and the current OS to see if anyone has reported any issues related to it on other fora like the Audiobus Forum.