Audiobus 3 and DrumPerfect Pro

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Neil
Expert

Audiobus 3 and DrumPerfect Pro

Post by Neil » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi

I am trying to get Drumperfect to input it’s current song to Auria pro via audiobus 3. Although I can get the audio to play and record in Auria, I can’t get Auria to stop, start, sync bpm or return to the start of the song.

Drumperfect automatically links to AudioBus 3 using Ableton Link so I can control these things from Audiobus 3. There is no return to start, but the play button in audiobus 3 does that before starting.

So the problem seems to be setting up the connection between audiobus 3 and Auria pro. I have tried the obvious settings of ensuring the two programs are selected in each other’s setting, but no luck on getting them to communicate start, stop or bpm. I can, however, get them all playing together (horribly out of sync!) if I select Virtual Midi in AudioBus 3’s settings.

Is there a guide on how to set up Auria Pro with Audiobus 3?

Espiegel123
Expert

Re: Audiobus 3 and DrumPerfect Pro

Post by Espiegel123 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:02 pm

You don’t need Audiobus.

Load DrumPerfect Pro as an effect on an audio track. This launch DPP and grabs the app’s output. Then setup Auria and DPP with settings like these:
8EE1DF66-F32B-452E-836A-F201BF9B236D.jpeg
0755DD31-0C98-4BFD-9CC8-804CF09BB71A.jpeg
When you hit play in AP, DPP will start playback.

Neil
Expert

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:14 am

Thanks. That didn’t work at first until I resinstalled Auria pro and drumperfect. I’ve had a lot of crashes trying different settings out and I notice the settings get changed whenever this happens. When, in a fresh new project, I closed both apps and reopened them, Auria thought there were 2 instances of DPP and said it removed one. There was only one instance.

The reason for wanting to use AudioBus 3 was to load all the kit independently so each item or group can be processed in Auria.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:26 am

Neil wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:14 am
Thanks. That didn’t work at first until I resinstalled Auria pro and drumperfect. I’ve had a lot of crashes trying different settings out and I notice the settings get changed whenever this happens. When, in a fresh new project, I closed both apps and reopened them, Auria thought there were 2 instances of DPP and said it removed one. There was only one instance.

The reason for wanting to use AudioBus 3 was to load all the kit independently so each item or group can be processed in Auria.
The separate outs are available in AP without Audiobus, too. DPP publishes all the individual outs.

Neil
Expert

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:54 am

Thanks. I had assumed the message from Auria pro that it had removed an instance of DPP (even though I only had one) meant it wouldn’t let me have separate inputs for each drum kit item.

I’ll try it again.

Meanwhile, AB3 almost works but it is hit and miss. Lots of crashes. I can only start and stop from AB3. That works fine for DPP (AB3 prefers Ableton Link as it seems more robust). Auria starts on command but doesn’t stop. Oh well.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:19 pm

Neil wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:54 am
Thanks. I had assumed the message from Auria pro that it had removed an instance of DPP (even though I only had one) meant it wouldn’t let me have separate inputs for each drum kit item.

I’ll try it again.

Meanwhile, AB3 almost works but it is hit and miss. Lots of crashes. I can only start and stop from AB3. That works fine for DPP (AB3 prefers Ableton Link as it seems more robust). Auria starts on command but doesn’t stop. Oh well.
DPP runs as an app. So, there is only ever one instance running, but that one instance publishes individual instrument outputs to AP. There is also a DPP AUv3 plug-in that you can use instead of the app if you already have your song programmed.

If you set it up as I showed, the Auria transport will start and stop DPP.

Neil
Expert

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 pm

You are right again. I think trying to get each drum onto a separate track is a waste of time and effort right now, so I’ll give up. Both the methods you suggest work fine, although I need to close and reopen things sometimes to get settings to work. But that is fast and easy so I won’t worry about it. Thanks again.