Problem recording a live show

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mandodon
Expert

Problem recording a live show

Post by mandodon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:04 am

I recorded a show I played in last night. I had 12 inputs, so spent a lot of time getting everything setup. I put Auria in record ready maybe 15-20 minutes before we started playing--armed all the tracks I wanted and pushed record on the transport so all I had to do was push play. I had it in mixer mode so I could monitor the levels--everyone plays a lot louder once the show starts than they do during soundcheck. I could see levels on all the tracks and the time moving on the transport.

When I got home, there was only audio on track one using the ipad internal mic. Luckily (?) the stage had a power outage so I had to reset everything in Auria. After the power outage, when I armed the tracks and immediately started recording. I got all 12 tracks for that part of the show.

The same thing happened between sets. I loaded a new project after the first set was over, armed all the tracks, had record pushed in the transport so I could come back and hit play and be ready to go. There were levels showing on all the channels in mixer mode, because I had to tweak some levels on the Presonus 1818 after the first song. We had another power outage, so I reset everything and got the 12 tracks again after power outage in the 2nd set. I only had audio on track 1 from the beginning of the set to the power outage.

Now with the power problems, I'm thinking it could have turned off the interfaces momentarily (brown out?), but in that case I should have only had input metering on channel one. I still had input levels on all the channels I thought I was recording.

Any ideas what could have happened? Have you done testing with leaving it in record ready mode for long periods of time?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Problem recording a live show

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Sorry this happened during a show. I can think of a couple of scenarios that could cause this to happen:

1. If the audio interface got disconnected from the iPad at some point, it would cause Auria to only record from the built-in mic. In fact, the only way to record from the mic is to disconnect the USB device. This includes: the cable, the power to the USB device and the hub (if you're using one).

2. Do you have the power saver on (called Auto Lock)? If the iPad went into standby at some point after you armed the tracks, it might have issues when it wakes up initializing the USB device, and maybe that's when it disconnected.

Rim

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:05 pm

It probably did go to sleep and then wake up. I did have to rearm the tracks at some point. The weird thing is I was seeing input levels on all the channels even though it was only recording through the iPad internal mic on one channel.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:09 pm

That would explain it. Auria will not go to sleep once you start recording, but it's possible that it went to sleep while it was in standby. I recommend unplugging and reconnecting camera connector kit, then re-arming the tracks right before you start recording (or just disable auto lock). I',m not sure why you would have seen levels on the other channels, though.

Rim

mandodon
Expert

Post by mandodon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:14 pm

I've been trying to reproduce this at home today, and I'm not able to. It must have been some weird power situation on the stage that caused some odd state with the interfaces and how they interact with the ipad.

I will definitely do the unplug/plug back in thing next time as well as switch it to track view so I can make sure the right tracks are recording.

All in all, it was a positive experience and I'm happy with the tracks I got. I'll just be a bit more diligent next time.