Snapshots replace Projects in file browser?

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

trupro
Expert

Snapshots replace Projects in file browser?

Post by trupro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:14 am

I'm a bit new to using the snapshots feature, looks like I've replaced my original projects with snapshots but not sure. Whichever type I try to load, I don't see the original projects anywhere, only snapshot titles. In addition, there are blank regions in my snapshots. here is the workflow so far:

Working with several Project copies, for example bk, bk_1, etc, I chose one and began mixing. When i made certain changes, i'd save a snapshot, retitle the snapshot and continue on. On some snapshots, I deleted tracks for mixdown purposes. Later, when attempting to reload previous snapshots again, the ones that still had all the tracks in them now contain blank audio regions. Presumably because I deleted those tracks in other 'snapshots', but these all pool from the same actual 'project', which I suppose was auto saving in background each time? I should note I also froze many of these tracks prior to this issue.

In addition, I do not understand why I only see my Snapshot titles, even when I choose 'load project', rather than 'load snapshot'.

Think I'm doing something terribly wrong with my file management within Auria. Perhaps retitling certain things a better way will prevent this type of overwrite... or is there still a way for me to find the original projects, perhaps they are in separate folders?

Thanks as always folks!
Last edited by trupro on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Snapshots replace Projects in file browser?

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 am

If you've got projects labeled _bk and _bk1, etc, these are not snapshots, but project copies. Auria has a menu item called "Save Copy of Project". When you use this, Auria makes a complete copy of your project, including all audio files into a new project (and it names these with a _bk1, bk2...). Snapshots are project-specific, so if you made a bunch of snapshots in one project, they won't affect another project. The main difference between snapshots and project copies are that project copies contain everything, and a snapshot doesn't contain audio files.

I'm not sure why your project copies would have blank audio regions. Are you using the latest Auria version?

Rim

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:25 am

Ok forgive me, please disregard the file browser issue. Now I see what you mean, I simply did not load the right project.
Column width prevents me from seeing full title, so hard to tell which one is which. So load project works, and then load snapshot will only show snapshots associated with that session. This is working fine, yes btw have newest Auria version...

However, when I load snapshots of this session, still no audio files, the colored regions are there but they are all blank.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 am

No, snapshots are stored in a separate place (they're in a folder inside your project folder called Snapshots). So saving snapshots doesn't affect your project. However, loading snapshots does. If you load a snapshot, it *becomes* your current project. In other words, Auria overwrites your current project with the snapshot. So I recommend saving a snapshot before you load one, because there's no way to go back otherwise. I contemplated having Auria create a snapshot every time you load one, but decided against it, as this would cause a lot of clutter very fast.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:42 am

Actually your missing audio could be due to a bug I have in the snapshot system. If you delete some unused regions in one snapshot, then load another snapshot, the automatic cleanup feature could think those audio files are no longer used and remove them. Now when you return to the previous snapshot, they are gone.

This is already on my list to fix.

Rim

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:50 am

Okay edited given your response above. Definitely an issue with the cleanup bug, I will avoid deleting tracks and regions from snapshots in the meantime. Thanks as always for your excellent level of support, it makes all the difference :)

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Rim,

On the issue of snap shots it would make logical sense for Auria to make a single default snapshot when a project is created and keep using this one until another snapshot is made.

Currently if you make a new snapshot there is no way to go back to your original mix which is a bit confusing as you probably only wanted to make a snapshot so you can work on a different idea while preserving the old one. As it stands if you want to do as I suggest you'd have to make 2 snapshots a new one, and a new-new one, which is not intuitive.

If each project comes with a default snapshot activated there would be something in place already to go back to.

The logic works in my mind at least, as far as I understand the snapshot system to work.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:10 am

But this would not be very useful, because when you first create a project, it's completely empty. So having Auria save this empty project as a snapshot wouldn't help much.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:21 am

Rim wrote:But this would not be very useful, because when you first create a project, it's completely empty. So having Auria save this empty project as a snapshot wouldn't help much.

Rim
So the iOS auto save feature does not apply to snapshots. ok I think I'm starting to understand what they are.

I was thinking of them as something like 'versions' of the project, whereas they are more like a 'project frozen in time'.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:34 am

Exactly. There is no auto save in Auria, but that's something I may do at some point.

Rim