Overloud THM problems

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Morgan
Expert

Overloud THM problems

Post by Morgan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 am

Hi RIM and everyone, not sure if this is a problem for anyone else but for the life of me I can't get OVERLOUD THM to function without constant failure the moment I adjust any of the effects settings. Auria settings are pretty standard with just record monitor turned on so I can hear the effects live on the guitar. I can load presets OK and they work but the moment I adjust any of the settings inside THM it just goes completely unstable making spurious noises and unusable. Disabling the THM insert although getting rid of the noise then leaves the guitar input with a huge delay on hitting the strings before hearing the sound. The only way to recover is to shut Auria down completely and then start again. POSITIVE GRID on the other hand works flawlessly but doesn't have the same range of effects that OVERLOUD has. I know that this plugin has had stability problems in the past but wondered if it was supposed to be fixed. Everything else is bloody marvelous. I think I'm addicted to this app.

Thanks

Trevor

Jus
Expert

Re: Overloud THM problems

Post by Jus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Overloud is working great for me ATM just tried loading a preset and messing about with the settings
No probs here 8)

Have you tried restoring your purchases at all sometimes that can help

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:40 am

Jus many thanks for your response. After downloading the latest version of Auria I did trigger restore purchases but not sure how that reacts if the plugins are already installed. Do you have to un-install them somehow because I can't see an option to do that other than hitting the installed button to trigger another download as long as I don't get charged again.

Many thanks

Trevor

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 am

You'll never get charged again many have done the restore purchases thing
I have seen a few times on here , when you you purchase or restore purchases you have to allow extra time sometimes
For the download to complete in the background otherwise some plugins can be corrupt

Rim will maybe know better when he sees this post 8)

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Cheers. I will trigger a restore purchases again.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi RIM or anyone else that has this problem. I'm having trouble with Overload THM. I have completely reloaded Auria after un-installing it and re-installed all the plugins including Overload THM. I can't get Overload THM to remain stable in use. I have a simple 3 track test recording with guitar piano and drums. I can insert Overload THM into the channel strip for guitar and load any of the presets without any problems as long as I don't move any of the controllers. All is well until I edit the plugin by adjusting any of the control knobs. The moment I do this the channel goes into distortion and crackling noises. All settings in Auria are at default settings with just the Record Monitor turned on and the channel armed. The CPU is at 13% and the IPAD 3 is in aircraft mode. Once the channel goes into distortion there is no way of clearing the problem other than closing Auria down. Even removing the plugin from the channel strip fails to clear the problem. If I de-arm the strip from record and re-arm the distortion is still there. Another characteristic is that once the track goes into distortion it also introduces a big delay into the playing of the guitar of around one second. As I mentioned in my first posting I have no problems with other plugins and Positive Grid is fawtless. Any ideas anyone. Thanks for your input Jus I did as you said and re-installed the plugins but still no joy.

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Trevor,

Sorry to hear about that. I've never seen this happen before, so I suspect you may have a corrupted project. Have you tried creating a brand new project, and importing some audio into that project, then try THM? I suspect it may work fine on new projects.

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:55 pm

After reading this thread, I tested THM this evening with an existing project and a new project. I loaded a few factory presets and changed them while playing and recording without any problems. Latest iOS, latest Auria, iPad 2.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Rim, thanks for taking the time out in your busy schedule to comment on my problem with Overload THM going unstable when I edit the settings. I have already tried creating a new project but without success and the reason for completely uninstalling Auria and reinstalling. Perhaps I should add a couple of other facts. I am using a Focusrite 18i6 USB interface as part of the setup and have noticed that when THM goes unstable if I disconnect the USB connection and reconnect it everything comes back to normal. Alternatively if i put Auria into the background by using the Ipad close button on the front screen and then reactivating it that works too. Is it possible there is a USB interrupt issue between the Ipad and Focusrite 18i6 when I make edit adjustments to THM. This doesn't happen with any other plugins including Positive Grid Jam Up and all the FabFilter plugins I use. Thanks again for your time.

Trevor

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Just had another thought perhaps if anyone else on the forum has my setup using a Focusrite 18i6 and Overloud THM perhaps they would be kind enough to see if they can replicate this problem. Thanks fto everyone else who has commented. Take care

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:01 am

It sounds like this might be related to a bug in the coreAudio system which affects iPad 2 and 3 models (iPad 1 and 4 are not affected). This problem occurs when you use USB devices and occurs at random, depending on the memory footprint of the app (which is why certain combinations of plugins can cause this). A good work round is to use 4096 as your record buffer, and disable USB soft start.

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:38 am

RIM thanks again for your input on this problem with Overloud THM. I feel a bit guilty at pointing at the THM when in fact it might well be the Ipad or my connected device the Focusrite 18i6. I tried your suggestions but infortunately that doesn't work. The problem only exists when I have the particular channel 'RECORD ENABLED i.e the red record light on and the RECORD MONITOR switched on in the settings. At this point I am not recording but simply monitoring the output of the effects to fine tune them. It's at this time when making changes to THM settings that it goes unstable producing strange noises. In playback mode I can make changes to THM without any problems. I will make sure my Focusrite is up to date with firmware and take it from there. It's a bit of a chore having to reset Auria every now and then when it goes unstable but once I have the settings in THM to my liking the app runs fine. I will get to the bottom of it eventually. As every other App runs like a dream I will put up with for now. Thanks for your excellent support. I know everyone on the Forum appreciates it.

Take care

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:20 am

That's exactly how this problem manifests itself. As soon as you record enable the track, you'll hear the artifacts. To eliminate this problem, set your record latency in Auria's settings to 4096. This way, there's no difference between pressing record enable on a track, and not pressing it in terms of latency.

If this doesn't work, leave the record latency at 4096, and try the USB soft start setting. Try it off first, then try it with the setting on.

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:36 am

RIM thanks for the workaround on this problem. I have done as you describe and the frequency of instability has reduced but not entirely eliminated. The big disadvantage of this workaround is the delay created when hitting a guitar string to actually hearing the note which is about half a second behind when in monitoring mode. If this is the only way of accommodating the Core Audio problem with IPad 2 and 3 then I will live with it. Its just a little bit frustrating when Positive Grid Jam Up does not exhibit these artefacts at all and does a similar job. Shame its not quite as feature rich as Overloud THM. Perhaps this is Apples way of making us invest more in there latest hardware. What a bummer. Anyway Rim as usual you have shown how dedicated you are at helping us out when we have a few problems. Take care and keep the good work up.

Trevor

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sat May 04, 2013 2:46 am

Hi everyone just thought I would post update on this for anyone who I might have confused when trying to explain instability I was getting with Overloud THM when using an USB interface device such as my Focusrite 18i6. In brief I have multiple keyboards, Mic and Guitar connected through the Focusrite 18i6. All works absolutely marvellous but as previously described, with the monitor out routed to the headphone socket of the 18i6 and the guitar channel strip record enabled and monitor out enabled in setup I found that THM would go unstable when making any changes to THM knob controllers in real time when playing the guitar. RIM did explain that IPad 2 & 3 had intermittent core audio issues which could cause artefacts and the instability I was experiencing. Rim offered a workaround (other than getting a new iPad) which involved raising record latency setting but this created delays on guitar output which was off putting. What I have discovered and apologise for not trying this before is that simply plugging my headphones into the iPad headphone socket automatically routes the monitoring to that socket. Overloud THM now works without any problems. All other inputs and outputs on the Focusrite 18i6 remain fully functional. Thanks for everyone's input on this. Trevor