Region's name

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bartob

Region's name

Post by Bartob » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:22 am

I don't know if this is a bug, but in the new features added list it says: "Newly recorded regions are named after the track name instead of Audio 01…"
When you are recording in stereo, for instance, track 1 will be named "guitar left-1" and track 2 will be "guitar righ-2". The next take they will be named by 3 and 4... So you'll end up with a series of takes 1, 3, 5 for the first track and 2,4,6 for the second. I'm doing AB tests with mics and sometimes delete some of them when they don't serve to my purposes. Well, when I export the project to PC the whole thing looks messier than before because the numbers of the takes don't Mach across the tracks...

Best

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Region's name

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:43 pm

I did this because it was requested by other users. Maybe I should add a track number before the name? What would you prefer?

Thanks,
Rim

Bartob

Post by Bartob » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:12 pm

Just the track's name, as you did, followed by a number that is the same for all tracks recording that take...
"guitar-1"; "voice-1"; "bass-1"... I think it would be easier to follow when working in other daws...
By the way, congratulations! This is already the most used app in my ipad!

Best, Bernardo

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks, but in your example, there wouldn't be "guitar-1"; "voice-1"; "bass-1", because all of those wouldn't be from the same track. Wouldn't it be "guitar-1"; "voice-2"; "bass-3" if you recorded on track one, two and three? So a series of recordings all on track one would be like guitar-1, guitar-1 1 , guitar-1 2. Do I have this right?

Rim

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:21 am

track number + track name + take number

would sort nicely on screen I think.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro

Bartob

Post by Bartob » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:46 pm

sorry Rim, but English is my second language. What I meant was: there are 3 already named tracks (guitar, bass and voice). Suppose I will record the intro. The regions just recorded would be named guitar-1; bass-1 and; voice-1. If after that I going to record, let's say, the A part, the regions should be guitar-2; bass-2 and so... My point is every region recorded will hold its original track name but the number after that should be related with the specific recorded session and should be the same for all tracks involved.

Hope I've done this right!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks, not a problem! I think this is the way it works right now (in 1.09). Auria uses the track's name, and then adds a number afterwards if you record more than one recording on that track.

I will use fusionarts recommendation to add a track number to the start as well.

Rim

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:39 am

Rim wrote:
I will use fusionarts recommendation to add a track number to the start as well.

Rim
But what if you then needed to reorder the tracks?
Unless region renaming is coming in 1.10 :wink:
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:49 am

Rearranging the tracks would not cause the region names to change, and it's not practical to have Auria rename the regions if you rearrange tracks. So if you rearrange tracks, the names will still stay the same.

So let me know how you'd like to see automatic region naming? This is a separate discussion from manual region naming, which is coming (not sure about 1.10).

Rim

Bartob

Post by Bartob » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:53 am

You're right, I've created a new project and things went like it should be (picture attached). But the problem is with a project started before 1.09 update. The other picture will show what I mean... Anyway, this is probably a minor issue...

Best
Attachments
image.jpg
Project created before 1.09 update (take numbers aren't the same)
image.jpg (211.62 KiB) Viewed 8747 times
image.jpg
Project created after 1.09 update (everything is ok)
image.jpg (172.79 KiB) Viewed 8747 times

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Rim wrote:Rearranging the tracks would not cause the region names to change, and it's not practical to have Auria rename the regions if you rearrange tracks. So if you rearrange tracks, the names will still stay the same.

So let me know how you'd like to see automatic region naming? This is a separate discussion from manual region naming, which is coming (not sure about 1.10).

Rim
Yes, that's what I meant. I just immediately thought of a situation where a track is added high up the track list after some recording is done, it would make all the regions in the tracks below not match up if the original track number has been added as a prefix. What i mean is I don't see the usefulness of adding a track number prefix to the name because track numbers can change.
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:19 pm

OK, I can leave it as it. Is this the consensus? I will be adding the ability to manually change region names at some point.

Thanks,
Rim

fusionarts
Expert

Post by fusionarts » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm ok with the way you have it.
"In cordibus nostris Iesus in aeternum vivat"
“L i v e J e s u s i n o u r h e a r t s, f o r e v e r”
-----------------------------------------------------------
iPad Pro - 128GB - iOS 9.3 - Auria Pro