Latency/loop back test question

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

69strat
Expert

Latency/loop back test question

Post by 69strat » Thu May 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Sorry if this has been covered previously but I'm relatively new to this and am stuck. My interface is a duet 2. I imported and arranged some drum loops and successfully overdubbed two guitar tracks and everything lined up/sounded great. I am now attempting to lay down some additional tracks and am experiencing some latency. I did a loop back test, zoomed in and attached a screenshot...not sure how to proceed. Thanks in advance, the customer service that I've observed on this forum is second to none,
Pete
Attachments
image.jpg
(225.67 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Latency/loop back test question

Post by Rim » Thu May 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Pete,

Welcome! From the picture, it looks like your latency is close to 0 (maybe a sample or two, but that's really insignificant). Can you describe how you're seeing latency? Note: you're going to hear some latency when recording - this is just the nature of using an audio interface without direct monitoring. But there shouldn't be any latency after the recording is done and you're playing back.

Rim

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Thu May 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Wow, that was fast!
Here's what I did:
-imported/arranged multi track drum loops (complete song)
-mixed them and bounced to a new stereo track, drums finished.
-added a new track, selected record monitor off, recorded a couple of bars of rhythm guitar while listening to the drum tracks through monitor speakers (probably breaking lots of rules here but it worked and everything lined up)
-overdubbed two additional guitar tracks the same way (couple of bars)
-mixed them, loved what I heard
-tonight i wanted to "finish" the rhythm track so I added a new track and attempted to start recording where the initial tracks ended (guessing I should have done auto-punch on same track rookie workflow here, sorry)
-upon playback the track did not line up with the drums
-I made multiple attempts and disabled effects (don't think that should matter though in that I am not monitoring through the software rather through the duet breakout cable)

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks so much for putting professional quality recording within the reach of folks like me who just love to play guitar!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 am

I can't see any obvious issue with the way you did things. I guess my question would be - you were able to record the first couple of passes just fine, and these line up. If you attempt to do this again, do the tracks line up, or is everything you record now "off"? In other words, is it only "off" when you start recording somewhere that isn't at the start of the song?

Rim

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Fri May 24, 2013 7:02 am

Yes and no, so in an attempt to finish the rhythm track I started recording at the beginning of the song on a new track but didn't start playing until the previously recorded tracks ended, again monitoring through speakers. Upon playback there was a pretty significant delay in the newly recorded track. Would a screenshot help?
Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 am

In cases like this, a video would work best, so I can see exactly how you're doing it. You can just send it to me directly if you want: rim at drumagog dot com.

Thanks,
Rim

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Fri May 24, 2013 7:40 am

Will try to get that done today, again thanks!
Pete