Snap behaviour of selection highlight

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

RobB
Expert

Snap behaviour of selection highlight

Post by RobB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 am

I've just been looking at the selection highlight function in anticipation of it being linked to locators in 1.10.
Is it by design that the initial or start point of selection highlight (double tap) doesn't obey snap setting but the end or release does.
I was thinking that a great way to use the new link feature (if I've got it right) would be to have snap set to events and use the highlight to snap to a region to loop it because the locators would be linked to the highlight. Have I got that right?
But as it is now the start won't snap but the end will. You can go back and snap the start, but wouldn't it be more consistent behaviour to have both ends snap if snap is on? Same as locators now. And, of course, both ends wouldn't snap when snap was off.
I'm not sure I've expained that very well either :)
iPad Air / 128 | iOS 7.1 | Apogee Duet | Auria 1.14 | Cubasis 1.7.2
Learning to play drums

Tarekith
Expert

Re: Snap behaviour of selection highlight

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:26 am

I asked for this as well in the wishlist thread, would love to have selection start snap properly too!

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:44 am

The start of highlight tool doesn't snap but over time I've actually found this to have many useful advantages.
Still, being consistent would have its uses too I'm sure.

Having a short cut button to turn snap on/off as I suggested a short while ago would make a big difference to this type of work flow.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:28 am

1.10 will have a link option, as you describe. But it still doesn't snap at the beginning. That's still on my list ;)

Rim

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:31 pm

@Tarekith, Ah yes, I haven't looked at the wish list thread for a while, I support all the requests that you made that I read.

@mtingle, I 100% support the snap on/off toggle. Looking at the preview Rim posted for 1.10 I thought it looked like an ideal opportunity to increase the depth of the snap menu to match the depth of both the info box and the new tempo/time sig box on the other side (would then make that section symmetrical). I would imagine that this would then give the button with the hash symbol sufficient size to be used as a toggle. It would certainly be bigger than the Solo/Mute and Read/Write track buttons.
I'd be interested to know what the useful advantages of not snapping of the highlight start are, I thought there might be but I haven't found them. I always seem to go back and readjust the left edge.
Anyway a snap toggle would allow both scenarios. All in good time.

@Rim, I hope you don't mind us dissecting your work :) I love using this program.

Rob
Learning to play drums

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:10 am

@RobB - If you have a bunch of regions and a small gap between some of them, this happens a lot for me. If you want to make a quick split on a region instead of selecting the region then going to the edit menu and choosing split. Using menus always seems laborious. What you can do is use the highlight tool by starting the highlight tool in the gap and dragging it to where you want the split, then press the scissors icon. If the gap between regions is not on a beat the non-snapping nature of the start highlight tool makes this possible.

RobB
Expert

Post by RobB » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:40 am

Ha yes, good tip, I can see how that's useful. I agree the menus are a little irritating which will be alleviated a bit with the new icon bar.
Learning to play drums