AU Hiccups

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JRSIV
Expert

AU Hiccups

Post by JRSIV » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:09 pm

I know Audio Units as a platform is in it's infancy, especially in use in iOS based apps, but Auria Pro seems to deal with them beautifully one day and not even fire them up the next, even on the same AU app.

Like the DDMF EQ & reverb apps weren't working as channel inserts, then after closing Auria all the way, app drawer clean out, they work when the projects reopened. Little hassles like this are annoying but can be dealt with.

I figure the WaveMachine team is working on fine tuning AU compatibility with AU's and updates will come, but for now I wonder if there are scenarios that are known to cause issues.

For example, I've noticed using an AU effect like the VirSyn reverb when recording something, whether printing the reverb or just monitoring it without recording, seems to work 95% of the time.
But when applying an AU on an insert of a track already recorded, 80%+ time the effect doesn't work.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed any difference in AU performance within Auria depending on different circumstances.

(Using Auria Pro v2.08 with an iPad Air 2 64GB on
iOS 10.2)
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: AU Hiccups

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:31 am

The issue is with the AU apps and not just the hosts. All developers are working on getting AU working seamlessly but that may take some time. I suggest reporting the specific steps that are causing a specific problem to both Wavemachinelabs and the respective AU app developers as well. This will help guide the developers better to clean up the app and it's daw intergration. Overall I am having good luck with AU but I too have noticed many of them still need work. I own all the currently available AU plugins so I have done extensive testing of each of their intergration in AuriaPro. The reverbs are the worst. Cheers and good luck.

JRSIV
Expert

Re: AU Hiccups

Post by JRSIV » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:10 am

Anthony Alves wrote:The issue is with the AU apps and not just the hosts. All developers are working on getting AU working seamlessly but that may take some time. I suggest reporting the specific steps that are causing a specific problem to both Wavemachinelabs and the respective AU app developers as well. This will help guide the developers better to clean up the app and it's daw intergration. Overall I am having good luck with AU but I too have noticed many of them still need work. I own all the currently available AU plugins so I have done extensive testing of each of their intergration in AuriaPro. The reverbs are the worst. Cheers and good luck.
Thanks Anthony, I just wanted to see if any other heavy Auria Pro users had any of the same issues with the AU performance. I know it is most times an app developer issue.

An app like Phlox Phaser gets advertised on the App Store as being AU compatible and I know myself and many others have never had it work. I've written to them several times, still have no remedy.

It's like I said, it's not about the money spent on an app... it's the principle of endangering a new format with disinformation or having knowledge of the issues but never changing the description. I don't want AU to be looked at suspiciously and get a bad rep...like all apps touting compatibility must suck because it's a shitty platform.
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones