No playback after opening other apps

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Makyo
Expert

No playback after opening other apps

Post by Makyo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:06 am

On iOS 10.2, latest version of Auria, iPad Pro.

When using Auria, if I exit (not close) Auria to use any other app with sound input/output capability -- incl. Mail, FB, Safari, not just music apps -- when I return to Auria it won't play back. I hit the play button and nothing happens. If I close the app and re-launch, it works fine.

Very frustrating.... i've started using the Pro Pencil lately... is the Bluetooth connection somehow causing this? I know if I have a Bluetooth speaker connected and forget to turn it off, it bugs Auria every time ....

Makyo
Expert

Re: No playback after opening other apps

Post by Makyo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:44 am

There's also some sort of bug with the Arturia synths... just opening them causes Auria to lose all playback volume.
This occurs whether opening in Audiobus or opening separately, with Auria playing in background mode. Auria volume disappears and won't return until the Arturia app (iMini, iSem) is closed. The Arturia stuff can be recorded just fine into Audioshare, and plays back simultaneously with other apps outputting audio, so the problem does seem to be Auria.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Are you using sample rates other than 44100 in Auria? It's possible the other apps aren't compatible with these sample rates. Also, if you're using buffer sizes in Auria larger than 512, some other apps won't operate properly (most apps don't expect buffer sizes larger than this).

Rim

Makyo
Expert

Post by Makyo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:33 am

No and no. 44100 projects, buffer 512.

And like I said, I am getting this bug with apps like Apple's Mail or Safari or Notes, anything that has a mike input option basically.

Makyo
Expert

Post by Makyo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:40 am

Both these problems are recent.

The Arturia problem seemed to arise after the last Auria update, at first I thought it might be an Audiobus problem, but it's not.

The more recent problem of no sound on playback (after opening any other app with sound input potential), can't say what could have brought it on.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:53 pm

I can't duplicate this here... If I suspend Auria and go into another app, then return to Auria, the audio still works fine. Do you have Background Audio enabled in Auria's settings? Are you using a bluetooth speaker? Auria doesn't work with bluetooth audio (iOS doesn't support bluetooth with apps that play and record simultaneously).

Rim

Makyo
Expert

Post by Makyo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:02 am

I do have background audio enabled in Auria.

I do use a Bluetooth speaker sometimes, but it is def. off when using Auria, I'm aware of that conflict. So this is a separate problem. I do have a bluetooth iPad Pro Pen attached, but no audio on that obviously.

I often have to reply to mails from work while working in Auria, and guaranteed every time, when I come back to Auria, it won't playback. Need to close and re-open. This is like I said a recent occurence.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:38 pm

I can't see how your bluetooth pen would affect the audio, so I think we can rule that out. Have you tried disabling Auria's background audio mode, to see if that makes a difference in your case?

Rim

Makyo
Expert

Post by Makyo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:50 am

Tried disabling background audio in Auria, no effect on bugs.

Same problems.

1 ) If I open any Arturia app (iSEM, iMini, iProphet) Auria volume disappears. If I quit the Arturia app, Auria playback returns. This really sucks, and was not a problem until recently.
Thor works fine with Auria, so does Gadget, a few others.
This bug seems unique to Arturia synths.
But they record fine thru Audiobus into Audioshare, Samplr, so the problem seems to be only with

2. If I use the mike input in any app -- mail, Dragon, Messenger, take your pick -- Auria will not respond when I return to it, i.e. pressing play has no effect. It is dead until I close and re-open.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:05 am

In terms of your first issue, that's how it's supposed to work. When background audio is disabled, Auria's audio will be shut down by iOS when you run any other app. So if you want to use Auria in the background while using another app, it's important to enable background audio mode in Auria.

But the second issue is puzzling, as I can't duplicate it here. Does anyone else have this issue?

Does this occur with a clean Auria project, or only with a particular project?

Rim

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:11 am

i will check having all arturia apps and BOTH OS 9 ahd 10 to check on ipads pro, might be OS 10 Arturia Problem they did not update recently
wait and see…

Makyo
Expert

Post by Makyo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:01 am

No, that does not solve the problem,
I originally had thia problem _with_ background audio enabled.
You told me to try disabling it so I did. The problem is the same whether background audio is enabled or disabled

Can you record iSem or any Arturia synth into Auria using Audiobus?
It is completely impossible for me on the current versions of iOS and Auria.
I used to do this all the time, so it's not like I don't know how. The problem is clearly something recent.

One other thing I noted. If when navigating to other apps by using the home button, if I accidentally activate Siri, again when returning to Auria it won't play back. Hitting start button does not get any results, dead, need to close and re-open.
Definitely anytime the internal mic of the iPad is being activated in any other app, Auria crahses and refuses to playback.

Can you tey this: Open Auria and playback a project. Double tap the home button and open Siri. Close Siri. Now go back to Auria. Does it playback?

The bugs described above happen consistently across projects. Even in a new project with nothing recorded yet.

Echotapper

Post by Echotapper » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Makyo wrote:On iOS 10.2, latest version of Auria, iPad Pro.

When using Auria, if I exit (not close) Auria to use any other app with sound input/output capability -- incl. Mail, FB, Safari, not just music apps -- when I return to Auria it won't play back. I hit the play button and nothing happens. If I close the app and re-launch, it works fine.

Very frustrating.... i've started using the Pro Pencil lately... is the Bluetooth connection somehow causing this? I know if I have a Bluetooth speaker connected and forget to turn it off, it bugs Auria every time ....
Same problem with my ipad pro.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:15 am

My iPad Pro isn't experiencing this problem. I just upgraded to 10.3, but I didn't notice it happening in 10.2 either.