Can’t Open Project that was fine last night

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Espiegel123
Expert

Can’t Open Project that was fine last night

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:34 pm

IPad 6th Gen. iOS 12.1.4

The last few days I have been working on a project that has 13 tracks of which 3 are midi. Most audio tracks fairly sparsely populated. Last night, I did a mix down to AudioShare. Today, Auria Pro crashes trying to open the project. Sometimes it complains of memory before crashing. Sometimes, it crashes just after the mixing board finishes drawing...sometime before.

I have powered the iPad down and restarted but still no joy.

Any idea how I can salvage this?

Rodolfo
Expert

Re: Can’t Open Project that was fine last night

Post by Rodolfo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:43 pm

I’m not having that particular issue but I do get continuous memory warnings, even in small projects, with or without AU plugins. I’m not sure wether it started with one of the latest IOS updates or if it’s present since v 2.21. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find a consistent way of reproducing the memory warning message.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 pm

@RIM is there anything I can do to work around this? So that I can recover my work?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Auria automatically makes snapshots of your project as you work on it (every 10 minutes). It should just be a matter of loading one of the snapshots and you'll get to a place before the crash.

Rim

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:13 pm

The project crashes during load. I have no opportunity to load a snapshot. Is there some way to load a snapshot without the project being open?

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:17 pm

Do you receive the crash logs generated? I keep getting asked what I was doing before the crash but have no idea if the app survives long enough for you to receive the report.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:27 am

If Auria crashes, the very next time you launch Auria it will ask you if you want to try and load the project again or load a snapshot. That’s where you should be able to select one.

Rim

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:41 am

Auria Pro crashes either before that dialog appears or immediately after it appears but before I can interact with it. Then the next time Auria opens an empty project opens.

I tried duplicating the project with a new name to AudioShare where one can see the files in the project folder. I deleted the last snapshot and copied the folder back to the Auria Pro directory. When I open that version, it opens with some seemingly random or broken snapshot (lots of tracks missing) and then crashes.

This is all very strange as I worked on that project for more than an hour after all tracks where in place and everything recorded and never once had any glitches. I mixed down to an external folder. All fine. Now it crashes Auria Pro without fail.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:24 am

It sounds like your project got corrupted to the point where it's crashing Auria . However, you should still be able to use the snapshots that are in there. Here's what I suggest:

1. Using the Files app, or some other means of accessing the folders in Auria, copy one of the snapshots in the Snapshots folder to the main folder for your project.
2. Delete the project file (this will be the name of the project with a .prj at the end
3. Rename the snapshot file you copied to the same name as the project file you deleted (in other words, if your project name was test, rename it to test.prj)
4. Try opening that project again

You may need to try this again a few times until you've got the snapshot you need.

Rim

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:49 am

Something seems very wrong. The time stamp of the snapshot was from a few minutes before the mix down but it has only 6 of the projects 14 tracks...and the missing tracks were added hours before that time stamp. Not to mention that it still crashed moments after it was opened.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Rim wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:24 am
It sounds like your project got corrupted to the point where it's crashing Auria . However, you should still be able to use the snapshots that are in there. Here's what I suggest:

1. Using the Files app, or some other means of accessing the folders in Auria, copy one of the snapshots in the Snapshots folder to the main folder for your project.
2. Delete the project file (this will be the name of the project with a .prj at the end
3. Rename the snapshot file you copied to the same name as the project file you deleted (in other words, if your project name was test, rename it to test.prj)

You may need to try this again a few times until you've got the snapshot you need.

Rim
I'll try again using the method you outline above. A few questions:

Is there a way in the Files app to see the folders in the project. Currently, I am having to copy the project folder into Audioshare to see a project folders contents.

I see that in the project folder there is a backups folder in addition to the snapshots folder. Should I be using the prj files from backups or snapshots? There actually seem to be more prjs in the backups folder from around the time of the problem than in snapshots

Aren't you interested in taking a look at the project file to see what is causing the problem? I have to admit that I am now feeling nervous about working on projects in Auria Pro for fear of losing my work. It has been solid for me until the other night when this happened, but there others who have reported similar issues over on the AB forum. It would give me more confidence in proceeding knowing that you are interested in what was causing the problem.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:17 pm

I managed to find a snapshot that opens. L

The snapshot was from 30 minutes before the mixdown. The snapshot 10 minutes later

Between when that snapshot was taken and the next snapshot, all that happened was another take or two onto a track that already existed which has SpaceCraft Granular in an Effects slot. There was also some automation added on that track.

It would be great if you would take a look at that project file to see what causes it to crash -- and also if the Load Snapshot procedure were more robust. It seems like Auria Pro is loading stuff from the project even in 'recovery mode' before it gives you a chance to load a snapshot.

One solution would be to have there be a menu command that lets you choose the snapshot to use when loading a project to make recovery easier.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks, glad to hear you managed to get a snapshot that worked. I agree, the process could be improved for some cases. I'm happy to look at the project if you want to send it to me (rim at drumagog.com)

Thanks,
Rim

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:32 pm

I've sent you a link via email to the project. Hopefully, there will be something helpful to be found by looking at it.

Kalou

Post by Kalou » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:54 am

This worked for me, thank you. Not sure how the project file got corrupted in the first place though.
Rim wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:24 am

Rim