Re new duplication feature

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Re new duplication feature

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:26 pm

No, condense regions always makes copies of the audio files, so the two won't affect each other. This is also why condense regions sometimes makes your project size larger if you have a lot of duplicates.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:42 pm

@Rim: Are there other benefits to condensing a region prior to duplicating it, i.e. is it good practice? I thought the whole point of non-destructive editing was to offer flexibility.

Take a case where I have a 20sec region, which I trim from both ends down to a 1sec region. I then want to duplicate that 1sec region 19 times. If I condense, prior to duplication, will the 20x condensed 1sec regions use less space/resource than 20x instances of the trimmed original region?

Also, If I condense the original, prior to duplicating it, I'll lose the other 19secs of data (which I may need later). In that case, ought I to duplicate the original region once, then condense the duplicate, then duplicate the duplicate? Afterwards, how do I distinguish between the trimmed original and a condensed duplicate?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Yes, that's exactly right. You loose the other 19 seconds if you condense the region. But your solution is correct. If you duplicate it first, then condense one of the duplicates, the other one will still have the full 20 seconds in it. Auria appends a number after every copy it makes, so the new one will be "some name 1.wav" if the original was "some name.wav"

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks for the clarification and the reminder about the region numbering, Rim.

As for the resource usage question, I'm guessing that the original, trimmed region plus 19x copies of the 1sec condensed region will use only a little more resource than 20x instances of the trimmed, original (21secs of raw data vs. 20secs).

However, if I were to join the 19x 1sec condensed regions (with 1.08's 'Join Regions'), I'd end up with a total of 39secs of raw data!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Yep, that's right. It's not the perfect tool for everything but that's generally how Join works on most DAWs.

Rim