iPad storage consumed when exporting to DropBox

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

harpman
Expert

iPad storage consumed when exporting to DropBox

Post by harpman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:33 pm

During the export to DropBox, I get a message on the iPad that I'm out of storage and sure enough I'm down to "0". When I connect my iPad in iTunes and look at the New Project 1 folder, it's way to big 18G for a 30 second recording of 2 tracks. During the export process, the preview.wav will continue to grow until it consumes the iPads storage. I've tested this on both my iPad Air (32GB) and iPad 1 (64GB) and they both behave the same. In scenario #2, I do the same 30-second recording of 2 channels, but this time I connect it via iTunes. The folder size is 9MB versus 18GB. There is definitely a bug identified here.
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Sound Engineer / Harmonica
Stefani Entertainment

harpman
Expert

Re: iPad storage consumed when exporting to DropBox

Post by harpman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Seems like if you turn on "Project Auto-Cleanup" in Settings --> General, this doesn't happen. Can you explain?
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:06 pm

As you work on a project and delete regions you no longer need, Auria keeps these in case you want to undo. If it didn't, you'd be out of luck if you made a mistake and wanted to undo. If you enable auto cleanup, Auria scans your project every time it loads, and permanently removes any files associated with regions you deleted. There are reasons you wouldn't want Auria doing this, for example if you have snapshots which still use those regions, so it's off by default.

Rim

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:18 am

Rim,

Still doesn't explain why preview.wav increases in size (until your run out of storage on iPad), only when exporting to DropBox. My recommendation is to remove the feature "Export to DropBox" if this issue isn't going to be addressed. My whole purpose for using Auria is so I don't have to lug my laptop around and use my PC based DAW (Sonar X3). In my studio, I use my PC based DAW, but Auria was attractive because it can run on an iPad I already use in my live mixing scenario at gigs. If I have to connect my iPad to my laptop in order to save the projects (with no increase in iPad storage size BTW), then why am I using Auria in the first place?
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:46 am

You just said the magic word - Dropbox. I was testing this using a normal mixdown, and didn't see the problem. I just found the bug and fixed it. Thanks for letting me know!

Rim

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:21 am

Rim, I know, DropBox has it's issues too :D. I do rely on it heavily though. Assuming there will be a update forthcoming on the App Store? Thanks for taking care of this!!

Gio
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:35 am

This fix is already in the codebase, and will make it into the next update.

Rim

harpman
Expert

Post by harpman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 am

Great, Thanks Rim!!
Musically Yours,

Giovanni Stefani
Stefani Entertainment