Tracks Missing in Edit Window

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

indratgj
Expert

Tracks Missing in Edit Window

Post by indratgj » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:58 pm

I was doing backups tonight. I backed up several projects, using iFunbox and my PC's file manager. My goal was to free up some space on the computer, and keep in Auria only the projects we're currently working on.

After doing the backups, I decided (and here's where the trouble probably began) that I didn't want to trust the backups until I was sure they would re-load and play correctly. So, I assumed that just reloading them with the same project names would overlay the copy of the project still in Auria, the one I knew worked. If the backup was bad, I would have destroyed my good copy. So, I decided (another probable mistake) that I would re-name the active project in Auria to some other name, so that when I loaded the same project from the back up, it wouldn't overlay the good one. I could always get back if the backup was bad.

When I restored the backup, it looked like an earlier version that I didn't want. So I reloaded the renamed copy, but when I did so, one track on the project had a bunch of "'track name".wav (missing)" blocks where punch-ins should have been, along with interspersed blank sections, which would have been the unpunched original recording.

Using iFunbox, I determined that the .wav files that Auria said were missing appear to be there. I matched up all the "missing" names and there are wave files for each one. Is there any way that I can restore these to the project, so that they'll appear and play?

Also please note that I already tried using Snapshots. This initially worked, but when I tried to back up the snapshot corrected version, and then reload it, the same problem recurred. So I don't what's going on. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Washboy
Expert

Re: Tracks Missing in Edit Window

Post by Washboy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:19 am

Definitely one best left to @Rim to talk you through :)

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:36 am

I thought I'd add a couple of additional pieces of info that might help.

First, I should have pointed out in my previous account that when I renamed the project, I used iFunbox to rename it, rather than doing it in Auria. I did get a couple of "Auria Can't Back-up Your File" messages, or something similar, after the renaming.

Also, I seem to have been losing my punch-ins, this happened on the track in question. And I've also noticed it on other tracks, including one that I never attempted to backup to disk or rename. On this particular track, I was able to use Snapshot to recover the punches. But the question remains: why am I losing them in the first place. BTW, I don't have Auto Cleanup enabled.

Sorry to complicate things further, but I'd like to know what might be going on.

Travis
iPad Pro 12.9” Gen 5, iOS v.15,5, Auria Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Presonus HP6, DrumPerfect Pro

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:29 am

indratgj wrote:...First, I should have pointed out in my previous account that when I renamed the project, I used iFunbox to rename it, rather than doing it in Auria...
That, I think, is key. All you would have done there (with iFunbox) is to rename the project folder in Auria. I would expect that using Auria's 'Menu -> Rename Project' does more and keeps other things tidy and synchronised.

I'm out of my depth here and do really think @Rim is the only one to advise reliably - and hopefully suggest a way to recover things for you. I'm only butting in because Rim is probably still asleep ATM and we're not :wink: Good luck! :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Renaming a project using another app like iFunBox while that project is still running in Auria is not a good idea ;) Even if you don't do anything, Auria makes backups every 10 minutes, so if you renamed the active project outside of Auria, then copied a backup project into the documents folder with the same name as the active project, you must really have a mess on your hands... Auria probably tried to do an auto save and overwrote the project file in your backup copy (because it was looking for that original project name, and had no way of knowing you renamed the project). It's hard to know what to suggest at this point. Do you have a backup of what you need?

Rim

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Rim,

Yes, I know I did it to myself. :roll: And neither one of us enjoyed it.

I had a couple of backups, but one was hosed by the initial faux pas, and the other somehow became corrupt as well. So no, no backups. Unless, there is some automatic backup that goes up to itunes or the cloud that I'm not familiar with.

The audio files that Auria says are missing are still in the folder when I view it with iFunbox. Is there is any way to get the project to recognize them again? Or audio copy/paste them back into the project; however, I'm guessing that the information that says where they go on the timeline is not contained within the .wav files themselves.

If there's little or no hope, just let me know, and I'll take these valuable lessons forward as I re-record the tracks.

Thanks for the responses. Auria support is top notch!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:06 pm

You could create a new project and import those wav files, but yes - the information that tells Auria where to put those files in the timeline is part of the project file, not the wav file so that's probably gone.

The only other thing you could try is the snapshots. Snapshot files are actually project files with a different extension. If you take one and rename it to be .prj, then copy it into your project's main folder (overwriting the corrupt prj file that's there), it might work. You'd have to find a good snapshot from before you did the renaming.

Rim

indratgj
Expert

Post by indratgj » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Rim,

I think I've found about every snapshot file there is to find, but I'll look some more. Thanks for the help.

Re-recording the tracks is not that big a deal. Maybe it's the universe's way of telling us the performances weren't that great to begin with. Keep up the great work. I love Auria!

Travis