Stereo panning issue

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tonydean
Expert

Stereo panning issue

Post by tonydean » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi folks! I was wondering how best to set up a click track panned hard right or left, can i still get a stereo field with the other side for the rest of the mix?

For example: If I pan the click track hard right, can i split the left side of the track into two sides to achieve stereo from two mono tracks? What i'm asking, is I want to have a click track panned to one side of the mix, but not lose the spectrum of the rest of the mix.

Thanks in advance! :D
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

King
Expert

Re: Stereo panning issue

Post by King » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Hey @tonydean,

What you want done can be done! :)

If you had for example a tambourine as your click track you could pan it left/right without affecting the other/main track, (stereo).
This means you could use any track as your click/guide track, if you want.

It's only when you start using sub groups that tracks have that type/level of influence over other tracks (not pan).

So good to learn this now, cos Pro will be another level all together. :-)
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:09 pm

Yeah, updated routing will be useful for this very purpose.

@tonydean
You will have to record the metronome or create a track with a sound that is to be your click. To record the metronome sound, you have to go into the input matrix and select "main L/R" for the track you are recording the click onto. Make sure all other tracks with audio are muted before recording. i.e. Any audio coming out of the main outs will be recorded.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi guys,
I have a project where i have multiple tracks already recorded, including a click track, all in time. What i want to do is use the click track panned hard left or right and have the other tracks as my backing. How can I do this coming out of auria, from my headphone port on my ipad? What I have tried, is splitting the left/right channels with a Y cable coming out of the headphone port, then plug my headphones into one side of the cable, then plugging in the other side into my PA for the rest of the mix. However, by doing this, I only get one side of the mix. Can anyone tell me the best way to set this up for a basic click in my ear and the rest of the mix going into other?
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:39 am

the best way to do this is to create an audio track just for the metronome and mute all other tracks. In the input Matrix set the new track to record from the Master LR. Now when you hit record the metronome will be recorded onto the newly created track. Only the metronome will be recorded as all other tracks are muted. Record the metronome for the full length of the song. Once completed you can now pan that click track to any side of the stereo field that you wish. Cheers and hope this helped.

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:45 am

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for your reply. However, how do I output the click to one side out of the headphone out, and keep the stereo left of and right side of the mix at the same time?

King
Expert

Post by King » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:31 pm

King wrote:
If you had for example a tambourine as your click track you could pan it left/right without affecting the other/main track, (stereo).

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:08 pm

Its just like King said. You won't lose any stereo field when panning the track. What are you actually doing with the panned metronome? Is this for live? Most of the time when laying down tracks the metronome is left at centre. But people have different needs and set ups so unless I know a bit more about what your trying to do, I don't know what else to suggest. Cheers.

BrendonP

Post by BrendonP » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:13 am

Hi Tonybean

Can i just check that i understand what you want to achieve.

You want to hear in your headphones the left side of the mix WITH the click on top AND you want the PA to receive both left and right tracks that you can send to left and right speaker Withought the click.

Am i on the right track ?

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:41 am

Hi Brendon,

You're right about most of that. I only want to hear the click track in my left ear and the rest of the mix through my PA for live use

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:05 am

@tonydean: You state that your headphones are connected to your iPad's headphone jack but how are you connecting your PA? Is it a stereo PA? If you only have one output port (i.e. the iPad's headphone port) then you have only 2 output channels - the L & R of a stereo pair (Auria's Master output).

If you need a stereo mix then, using only the iPad's headphone jack, you will not be able to have a click track without it being fed to the PA as well as your headphones. You will need a separate audio interface that has at least 4 output channels.

It would be possible to do something like you describe if you're content with a mono mix. In that case, you'd have to split the headphone jack out to L & R mono cables (let's say L for headphones and R for PA). None of your tracks should be panned, except for the click track which you'd pan fully L. You'd also be unable to use any stereo FX. With that arrangement, you'd hear the same basic mix on both headphones and PA but you'd hear a click track on your headphones too.

Hope that helps.

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:26 am

Thanks washboy, I might try the mono mix thing with the click just in one ear. Cheers :D

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:42 am

tonydean wrote:Thanks washboy, I might try the mono mix thing with the click just in one ear. Cheers :D
If you also add a mono to stereo cable to feed both sides of your headphones with the same mono signal (i.e. the previously-mentioned L channel from your iPad), you'll hear the click + mix in both ears :)

King
Expert

Post by King » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:10 am

The solution that @Washboy has suggested is good. However @tonydean you seemed determined to have a stereo mix in your original questions? After a re-read I can see what you mean! I think!

Splitting a mono track into two tracks is not stereo. But yes you can get left and right.
But if you have instruments/sounds panned full left or right in your mix, you will loose one or the other.

Hope it works out for ya!

BrendonP

Post by BrendonP » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:54 am

As others have said its either
- splitting the L and R from the headphones out to L being click and R being a mono mix.
- using an external audio interface with 4 outputs to give you 2 seperate stereo mixes.

Be aware that any premade headphone split cables you buy may not be wired to achieve the result you require. What your doing could be considered unusual to some. It may be easier to make your own if your up for some diy soldering.

Good luck