Zip file not decompressing.

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BrendonP

Zip file not decompressing.

Post by BrendonP » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:04 am

Hi all.

Hope you can help on this. I have 20 WAV files all in a zip file on my desktop. I coppied the zip file to the auria directory using itunes. I then opened auria on the ipad expect the zip to decompress automaticaly as it has before but nothing happened. I cant see it in the load project or add file menu in auria.

Can anyone help with this.
Thanks
Brendon

Washboy
Expert

Re: Zip file not decompressing.

Post by Washboy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:14 am

Do you have sufficient spare disk space on your iPad to accommodate the zip file plus all 20 decompressed WAVs? Although the zip will be auto-deleted after the decompression, during it you may need more space than you think.

BrendonP

Post by BrendonP » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:27 pm

There should be just enough. Will it need any extra space above and beyond the space for the files. Also is there any way to force it to decompress or is it totaly automatic.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Zip needs memory for its decompression algorithm, so if you're trying to decompress something large, make sure you close all background apps to make as much free memory available as possible.

The process is automatic, and there's no way to manually trigger it. Auria basically looks for any changed files in the documents folder, and if it finds a zip file, it decompresses it. But it can miss files that were added while Auria wasn't open, so if that happens, just delete the zip file, and re-add it while Auria is open, so it will notice the file being added.

Rim

BrendonP

Post by BrendonP » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi Rim.

Its a 14GB zip. Extracting to 21GB. Ill try it again. Is there a limit to the size of the files.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:08 pm

There's no limit in Auria on the size of the zip file.

Rim

BrendonP

Post by BrendonP » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi. I couldnt get this to work. I can send the file to auria via itunes with auria open. Auria briefly shows the extracting dialogue and then deleats the zip but no signe of the wav files anywhere. Is it possably the zip file was not compatible with auria. I could see the files in it on windows.

I ended up using ifunbox to do it which worked great.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:22 pm

That's pretty odd. It's possible the zip file is corrupt somehow. Although it's strange that you wee able to open it in Windows.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:38 pm

BrendonP wrote:...I ended up using ifunbox to do it which worked great.
Glad you got things working! :D - but can you clarify something, please? Did you move the zip file with iFunBox (instead of iTunes) or just the uncompressed WAVs themselves?

I ask because I'm wondering if the folder structure of the problem zip was somehow incompatible with Auria's sandbox. Just a random thought :)

BrendonP

Post by BrendonP » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:24 am

I moved the uncompressed wav's with ifunbox.

I didnt consider folder structure in the zip. Are there rules auria is expecting. In the zip i had 1 folder with the wav's dose there need to be a file in the root of the zip.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:09 am

BrendonP wrote:...Are there rules auria is expecting...
To be honest, I have no idea. As I said, it was just a random thought :oops: I think @Rim will have to answer that one.
BrendonP wrote:...dose there need to be a file in the root of the zip.
No. You can create your own folder(s) within Auria's documents folder.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend creating a test zip, with minimal files and size, to test the principle (I assume you created the problematic zip yourself). If the test zip doesn't work either, you could share it here, via DropBox or possibly as an attachment to the forum, and we/@Rim can investigate further. :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:21 am

Auria doesn't have any rules about zip file structure. It just gets unzipped into the Documents folder, using the same folder structure you originally compressed. I agree that making a test zip is a good idea to rule out some kind of incompatibility between your zip file creation software and Auria.

Rim