Separate headphone mix for live

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Bangsy

Separate headphone mix for live

Post by Bangsy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Apologies if this has already been answered, I've looked but couldn't find anything.

I've just bought the full version of Auria for my iPad 4, and my scenario/ question is:

I'm in a band (guitars, drums, etc) and we want to use Auria for backing tracks live. Is there a way to send our drummer his own mix of the Auria session (including click) from the iPad, seperate to the one we sent out to the PA?

Obviously from the iPad 3.5mm headphone socket I could split a stereo signal, with a mono click panned hard left, and the backing track panned hard right for the PA. But if I wanted to send the drummer some of the backing track as well, this wouldn't work (unless the mono track, wasn't panned hard right I guess, and a small amount went into his headphones). This option seems a little primitive.

Is there a more elegant option using the iPads lightning connector? I'm aware it's a digital out, and I'd need to buy Apple's 30pin to lightning connection adaptor (which includes a DAC). With this adaptor and piece of outboard gear, can I achieve what I'm after? Or can I only ever send a single stereo signal out from Auria?

(One work around I guess, is that in my Auria session, I actually double up all the backing track audio files (apart from the click) and send these out panned hard left to the drummer as well?)

Help me Obi Wan.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Separate headphone mix for live

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Yes, Auria can definitely send multiple outputs. You just need a compatible USB audio interface which has the number of outputs you need. Auria supports up to 24 outputs, and you can assign which subgroup or aux send goes to which output using the output matrix. Plus, you can use the headphone jack in the iPad as an additional monitor, and can assign which output that should be assigned to.

Rim