Ipad 2/Audiobus

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Aph
Expert

Ipad 2/Audiobus

Post by Aph » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Pretty much completely unusable. See my ios version below.
All settings and track counts set to what should be less intensive cpu settings.
Magellan has unacceptable latency and when you try to record with an Auria generated click, the click slows down whenever you touch the Magellan keys.
Drumjam will record a loop and will play back when recording Thumbjam along with it. The first try will almost be in time, but if you undo your Thumbjam take, the next time will have extreme latency.
All tests made with just the three apps running (input app, Auria, and Audiobus) and then shutting everything down and then setting up with a different input app (including my Drumjam/Thumbjam tests).
Does anyone get this to work with ios 6?
This is all fine and dandy, but maybe Auria w/audiobus enabled should be marketed as having a minumum spec of an iPad 4?

iPad 2, ios 5.1.1
iPad 6 (2018 9.7 inch)
iOS 13.4
Auria Pro 2.250 (upgraded from Auria)

MrNezumi
Expert

Re: Ipad 2/Audiobus

Post by MrNezumi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 pm

I also use an iPad 2 on iOS 5.1.1 and find it largely unusable for Audiobus w/Auria use. I have never gotten Animoog or Magellin to work smoothly. Sunrizer and Artic Keys will nearly work if it is a very simple patch. Wavegenerator, iMS20 and iPolysix..... forget about it, not happening. Of course I am disappointed, but I can't get angry about it. I've already started saving to buy an iPad 4 (or possibly 5). In the meantime I am waiting for iOS6.1 to be released and hopefully it will be stable enough to calm my paranoia about upgrading the OS.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:41 pm

When i had an iPad 2 the following tip helped me a lot,although i don't know if it works with auria as well.

if you are running in low latency trouble (256 samples forced by audiobus) on your iPad 2 ,start Nlog (well,if you own it) BEFORE you start anything else no matter if you want to use Nlog or not.Just start and put it in the background.It will force any following app to use a latency buffer from 512 on an iPad 2.in this case i was able to run iPolysix into MDAW without any problems on my old iPad 2 while it was not possible to run all three (Polysix,Audiobus,MDAW)before.

btw,the (official)minimum requirements for using audiobus with Auria is an iPad 3.Although a lot of people with iPad 2 have no trouble using both together.Check this thread at the audiobus forum for more infos:
http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/276/a ... the-bus/p1

But it seems theres some trouble with audiobus/Auria and iOS 5.It is officially recommended to upgrade to iOS6 if you experience any trouble with clicking or so.

One more:besides the map desaster theres IMO no reason to stuck at ios 5.Yeah,i know.Jailbreak.this can cause issues as well.And that has not much to do with CPU or RAM.A lot of things going on in the background then and nobody really knows what.Audiobus and Auria are high performance tasks and require a clean background for low latency operation.Using a jailbreak is everybodys own risk.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 pm

iPad2/iOS6.0.1/Audiobus is not bad. I was able to record several tracks, with different input sources. One has to keep an eye on the Auria RAM meter, sometimes it fluctuates between 10 and 30 MB. No more used apps must be unloaded from Audiobus and iPad memory.

It needs a very disciplined workflow, but it's possible. After the tracking is finished, unload all apps from iPad memory (including Audiobus), to do the mix in Auria. Of course it's more comfortable to have more memory and/or processing power of the later iPad models, but I see no immediate need for purchasing.

Dcramer
Expert

Post by Dcramer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 am

I've had the same results on iPad 2 as well; if I'm careful with memory I can easily record 8 or more tracks into Auria via Audiobus. But some apps simply need more resources than are available. Audulus, Nlog, Animoog, Beatbox, Sunrizer, Drumjam all seem to work. PPG and DM1 gave me problems on the iPad 2.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 am

Auria and audiobus will not work well under iOS 5. I strongly recommend upgrading to 6.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:25 am

brw,Sebastian from Audiobus recently confirmed there will be an option in the next update where you can choose a higher buffer size for Audiobus.You won't need the"Nlog trick"anymore.A buffer from 512 on iPad 2 (and iOS 6)should work very well in most situations.

Aph
Expert

Post by Aph » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:34 am

Okay, looks like I may go with ios 6.0.1....
However, I have a LOT of music apps. I would hate to cripple any of them. Does anybody have problems with any particular music app on ios 6.0.1?
Thanks!
iPad 6 (2018 9.7 inch)
iOS 13.4
Auria Pro 2.250 (upgraded from Auria)

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 am

you are definitely not the only one with a device crammed with (music) apps :wink:
I can't remember any iOS 6 related problems with my music apps.And there's a clear advantage:you can use multiple OUTPUTS now if you have a multichannel (and class compliant of course) audio interface.

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 am

I have decent results on an iPad 2. I can use animoog without issue as well, even routed through an effect like JamUp. However, I do notice that I start to get memory warnings if I go beyond about 4 tracks at 3 minutes each. Seems to be about the ceiling for what I can record. That's no effects. Just tells me to increase my recording buffer, which of course I can't do when trying to use Audibus. I'm on iOS 6.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:36 am

probably you can change the buffer size,please read my posts above :wink:

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

boone51 wrote:I have decent results on an iPad 2. I can use animoog without issue as well, even routed through an effect like JamUp. However, I do notice that I start to get memory warnings if I go beyond about 4 tracks at 3 minutes each. Seems to be about the ceiling for what I can record. That's no effects. Just tells me to increase my recording buffer, which of course I can't do when trying to use Audibus. I'm on iOS 6.
Are you using iOS 6 with the above setup?

I keep reading on this and pretty much every forum that iOS6 causes so many problems with our fave apps, so im not sure its even worth it to go above 5 at this point...your thoughts?

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:56 am

Yes, I'm using iOS 6. I haven't noticed any issues with any of the music apps I use after that upgrade either. Which specific apps were you hearing about problems with? There are so many I guess its entirely possible you're concerned about some apps I just don't use. For the most part I enjoyed the upgrade to iOS 6 (barring the maps fiasco - which was pretty awful - but didn't impact my recording in iOS). If you tell me some of the apps you're concerned with I'd be happy to test them here on my end (if I have them of course).

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:01 pm

@trupro:can you name some of the"many"music related problems?i visit different forums as well but i don't see such a lot of complains.And in most cases it's more user than iOS related :)
Whenever i experience seemingly insoluble problems i try a hard reset.If that doesn't help a reinstall of the app most often solve every problem.If not,then it's still possible to found a bug in the app.

Some (audio/midi))periphery works,some not.But is there really a noticeable difference to iOS5?I don't know.

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:52 pm

@CEIsar, I assume this comment was for me based on what I said about the warning telling me to change the record buffer size.

"probably you can change the buffer size,please read my posts above"

I know about the NLog workaround, but I'm talking about the setting in the settings menu of Auria which is where I assume Auria is telling me it would like a HIGHER value. The NLog workaround just sets the buffer to be the preferred Audiobus setting of 256 from what I've read. It's a nice fix when you start hearing popping in audiobus, but I don't believe it's going to make auria "happier" with the error I'm running into. If you're talking to/about something else, please excuse me.