Auria, guitar, I/Os and Noise

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

gsv

Auria, guitar, I/Os and Noise

Post by gsv » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:44 am

Not sure where to put this was going to reply to http://d4.drumagog.com/phpbb2/viewtopic ... noise+1818 but didn't want to revive an old thread and it was not exactly on topic... anyway...

My partner and I are record simple guitar and vox duos very simple tracking.

I am having a ball using Auria with the Presonus 1818... whenever i use a microphone... plugging in a guitar either electric or semi acoustic, and the fun stops pretty quickly.

The noise level is noticeable as is the fact that when I ground the cable myself by grabbing the end of it noise drops to inaudible range... (this behaviour was mentioned on the above thread) the noise is there using both a powered hub or the chinese "this device is not supported by apple" workaround that I got off eBay for 6 bucks...

I was all ready to blame the 1818 or the mic leads or guitar leads (tried both on the acoustic) however I decided to test the same setup through my computer with Reaper... dead quiet... beautiful...

So that leads me back to the USB hubs??? Of course this only occurs with guitars... Microphones are beautifully quiet.

Anyone else solved this issue... at the moment I am recording all guitar parts in Reaper and then Dropbox importing them for vocals in Auria (cpu is too old = bit size too high = latency too large for successful monitoring or I would do it all in Reaper... don't even let me get started on Ableton)

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria, guitar, I/Os and Noise

Post by Rim » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:21 am

Sounds to me like a ground loop. Do you have both the 1818 and the USB Hub plugged into the same AC outlet?

Rim