What did you expect?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

kwalker0210
Expert

What did you expect?

Post by kwalker0210 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 am

I will acknowledge up front that I am very perturbed by some of the posts I have read recently, so I may not be as rational as I ought to be. Auria is a wonderful tool (especially in conjunction with the Alesis IO Dock), but did anyone really expect to replace all other recording tools with this one program? with each new feature added, it seems users are unyielding in their expectation of how Auria will perform. Weeks of nagging and begging for Audiobus compatibility, followed by weeks of complaining (by some, not all) that Audiobus doesn't work well with Auria. Did anyone really expect to use all these programs simultaneously and never run into a problem? When a craftsman prepares for a job, they gather the tools that are specifically suited for the task at hand, then they plan the workflow that will allow them to get the work down efficiently and effectively. I purchased Auria because I wanted a solution that allowed me to do high quality, multi-track,field recording with the most portable recording rig possible. The fact that Auria can do audio processing is a huge plus, but I have no expectation that it will be my primary tool for this particular task. I am not asking anyone to lower their expectations, because that would be unfair to Auria. What I am asking is that user be reasonable with their expectations, especially if you have a paying gig at stake. From my experience, a paying customer rarely accepts the "dog ate my homework" excuse, which in this case, is no different than expecting more from Auria than it was designed to do. If anything, you should have a problem with the makers of Audiobus: they were the ones that convinced everyone inter-app connectivity would be efficient enough for professional recording. As an aside, who can tell whether a track was recorded at 44, 48 or 96 khz? Why waste the bandwidth?

mtingle
Expert

Re: What did you expect?

Post by mtingle » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:15 am

Thats a fair point I guess. Though I would say that all these issues being brought to the attention of the wave machine labs team allows them to debug Auria which has to be a good thing. If I was a developer I'd want to release a stable, trusted, smooth running app that people enjoyed using and this can be only achieved by being aware of bugs being reported. Ideally people would report issues in a friendly way but I would also understand that it can be frustrating using an app that is causing problems and lead to frustrated posts. On the whole I thought the forum to be a friendly place :)

kwalker0210
Expert

Post by kwalker0210 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:46 am

mtingle, you make a valid point; developers rely on the user community to help them identify issues and suggest features that may be useful. For the most part, the Auria community served that function well. It is only recently that I have noticed a change in tone, a shift from assistance to accusation; suggestions are now presented as demands. I no longer sense a spirit of cooperation, but one of hostage taking: give us what we want or were going to another platform. This tone is not helpful to anyone. My hope is that the members of this forum will be more discerning of what they choose to post and how they say it.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Many reported Audiobus/Auria problems came from user where it turned out later they run Auria and AB on a not recommended IOS (5) together with a not supported iOS (jailbreak) but crying and blaming the AB/Auria developer first.That's what i really like :roll:
Last edited by CEIsar on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:38 pm

Yes.. I've posted on several forums on this topic. It's a shame that its happened here as
well after such a positive start. What I think happened was that all of the initial Auria users may have been experienced with the limitations and such concerning desktop DAW's, and were grateful to have such a great Daw on iOS.
Then the not so experienced crowd came along, who have never performed "old school" procedures such as plugging midi cables in, or keeping track of presets they used, or even using more than one piece of soft/hardware to get the job done.

Bug reports should respectfully submitted to the designated threads, or emailed to the developer. When someone new to an app checks the forum for some info,(like I've always done), and sees threads like,"such and such feature is broken" or "F**k you app, I'm moving on to this app" it doesn't help anyone.

If you haven't seen the s**tstorm on the beatmaker 2 forum concerning audiobus, you should have a look. People were so cruel and entitled you'd think they had to pay for every update. Truth is,(was, as they've submitted the update), it was a free update that allowed a function with a third party app. Hopefully it wasn't rushed due to the crying of a few...

It makes you wonder how people ever made music before audiobus.... Sheesh!!!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:40 pm

CEIsar wrote:Many reported Audiobus/Auria problems came from user where it turned out later they run Auria and AB on a not a recommended IOS (5) together with a not supported iOS (jailbreak) but crying and blaming the AB/Auria developer first.That's what i really like :roll:
Exactly... People have to do their homework before diving into this stuff. And the sad part is, it's easier than its ever been!!!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 pm

Yep it's not nice seeing the said posts/threads , there's no need to be so abrupt you only have to look at a few threads when you join the Forum to see its a friendly helpful place to be 8) 8) 8)

Yep it's dream to work now then it used to be , used to get a little idea come to me then I'll rush to the PC to try and get it recorded while fresh , only to spend an hr getting the bloody thing to work. There were always some issue with pc DAWS

too many different systems and configurations

Which is why Auria is the Dogs Boll*x
Really enjoying the Auria Ride ATM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Penguino

Post by Penguino » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Success = more people = more moaning on forum. An horrible law (of computer science?)

It really kills a lot of energy. If we could calculate how much energy is lost answering to this... energy that's not used to make the product better.

So, for Auria developpers : Good luck, and keep the hard work ! All that counts !

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:37 pm

:?:
Last edited by Anthony Alves on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Hey guys, I feel like I fall under this category as I'm the first one up here to whine about issues in 96K so for that I apologize. I'm such a n00b when it comes to the engineering side of creating music. I've always been the 'creative' and my brother the 'tech' but ever since he got married and left, I've been trying to do both. Boohoo on me, right? LOL, just kidding.
But Auria has been AMAZING so far (no matter what ups and downs have occurred, whether legitimate or my mistakes). I really appreciate Rim and the team giving us expert answers at lightning speeds! I'm super stoked that recording pro audio on an iPad is even possible.
So again, I apologize but also wanted to say thanks!

louparte
Expert

Post by louparte » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:51 am

I expected it to work well for recording digital audio. It does.

I expected it to present hassles due to iPad architecture - it does.

I expected basic editing to be a bit easier than it actually is. Bit of a let-down there. But I'll get over it.

But overall, I'm very happy with this DAW.

Dcramer
Expert

Post by Dcramer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:31 am

To their credit, Rim and his team have remained professional and helpful throughout all of this.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:58 am

That's true.But (some)people need to understand that they can't expect developer support for jailbroken devices.They don't even know what they install and wondering why it wil not run proper on their devices.I'm sure i remember a post here where Rim explained how a jailbreak interfere with low latency audio purpose if you use Auria and Audiobus.But i'm not an expert so i can't repeat it now...It's stunning to see how Rim tries to help anyway but it takes time they could put into developing instead :wink:
This is definitely the best support i experienced with music software.Closely followed by the Audiobus team,great guys as well :)

I never tried a jailbreak so i don't get why this is so important for some people.Most people claim"file access"but in this case i use iFunbox and that's it.It might break up the sandbox thingy as well but i don't need this,at least not to the cost of system stability.And of course everybody is buying all apps so this can't be an argument either :wink:
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

WAURIA D

Post by WAURIA D » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 am

I love Auria and I got waaaay more than I expected. Just the beauty of the mixer alone had me patting my pockets for 50 bucks. Even with my gen 1 iPad, I get 24 tracks with auto punch, automation, track freeze, editing, fx, a limiter, and on and on. I wake up happy everyday. :D Before I even purchased Auria, I read the manual and made myself familiar with the app. I'm amazed at the problems some seem to run into with gen 2-4 and I wonder could it be the hardware or os. I haven't updated my phone to ios 6 but my daughter's phone is updated and it SUCKS. I've also noticed that my two favorite apps, Auria and Beatmaker 2, get more flack about audiobus than anything. I like audiobus but c'mon. I know we live in a "microwave age" and most think faster is better but sometimes that mentality causes things to be rushed. I'm a laid back hip-hop head and in hip-hop you make do with what you have and get better. My gen 1 iPad isn't supported by audiobus and I don't care. I have background audio and audiocopy/paste. Knowing that, almost all my apps support audiocopy/paste so I can still integrate multiple apps. I feel for everyone having any kind of problem that hinders productivity but things get better and so will Auria. I love Auria and hope it becomes the biggest and best app on the iOS platform but it takes time. I've been around long enough to remember when you had huge rack model Roland samplers, which costed good money, for maybe 4 seconds of sample time. Some of the greatest Hip-hop records were produced on the Sp 1200 which gave you about 10 seconds. Now we can sample for as long as we want but no ones really making classics anymore. Know why? The ease of technology is taking our hearts and soul. Musicians are becoming "yuppys" or becoming lazy. When we didn't have a good shaker, we got a cup of rice and used those short samplers. We changed pitch by choosing plastic or glass. When that kick wasn't hard enough we sampled slamming a door or stomping. We used to rig two tape decks together or needle drop just to make simple loops. We had to carry huge ampex reels around. A 24 track reel is like the size of 20 iPads put together. We didn't have pro-tools, Auria, etc, engineers would have to splice tape and do edits manually. We put our all into it and loved the finished product because of the effort. I'm so greatful for my little iPad and Auria. Auria made me love making music again!

How about a forum just for bugs and problem with the app? This way the satisfied users can have a progressive and helpful community. Though I honestly have had no problems other than my initial rookie crashes and my couple of auto-reinstalls since the update, I enjoy reading threads like ask the experts and the wish list. I like seeing people helped with issues dealing with usage rather than audiobus. If I were looking for a new multitrack app and came across the forum, I would automatically think this app has major problems.

Thanx to the developers for such an amazing app. I'm very happy!

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:49 am

WauriaD,
Well said!
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14