How to get downloadable audio files into Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Geronimo
Expert

How to get downloadable audio files into Auria?

Post by Geronimo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:03 am

Without using anything but the iPad?

I've just registered to freesound.org and they've got loads of cool sounds. So i'm really happy that i can just download and use them, but i have no idea how to get them into Auria? Would a download app help? Is there a "open in Auria" option?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Geronimo
Expert

Re: How to get downloadable audio files into Auria?

Post by Geronimo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:35 am

Okay, i found a way, but i'm not really happy with it.

I got the download app iDownloader. Downloaded the file, moved it from there into Dropbox and imported it then with Auria via Dropbox. It works but it's not really fun when you're trying to create some kond of workflow.

Imagine i would like to download the single elements of a beat and put it in a drum machine, or a sampler once Auria got one. That would take me about 20 minutes just to get started. This isn't Auria's fault in any way, but iOS really makes things more difficult than they have to be. Especially for everything that goes slightly beyond mere consumer applications.

I really hope Apple will see the professional potential that the iPad now increasingly possesses and make the right moves.

By the way, will there actually be an Auria sampler, once MIDI comes out?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:39 am

We'll be adding OpenIn support for Auria in an upcoming version, so that will make things easier.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:17 am

Rim wrote:We'll be adding OpenIn support for Auria in an upcoming version, so that will make things easier.

Rim
Thx for answering. And the other thing, are you working on an Auria sampler as well, or will it rather be a vst solution?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:19 am

I don't have any specifics on the midi version of Auria yet, but as we get closer to launch I'll post more details.

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 am

Rim wrote:I don't have any specifics on the midi version of Auria yet, but as we get closer to launch I'll post more details.

Rim
Cool, thank you. Wouldn't use it without an iPad 4 or 5 anyway. Any idea why Auria makes DM1 or Nave stutter when they run simultaneously on an iPad 3? That's actually the reason why i haven't bought Audiobus yet, i couldn't use it with these two.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 pm

The reason is simple: Auria uses a very large audio buffer (4096 samples). Using a large buffer like this makes Auria use a lot less of the CPU, especially when running a lot of plugins. The problem is many audio apps don't like (or can't handle) such a large buffer. To alleviate this problem, start the audio program before you start Auria (close all apps first). Or in Auria's settings, turn on Audiobus mode. This setting forces Auria to use a 512 buffer.

The disadvantage with a small buffer, of course is that CPU usage inside Auria will be much larger (often 2-3x more CPU usage).

Rim

Geronimo
Expert

Post by Geronimo » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:50 am

Rim wrote:The reason is simple: Auria uses a very large audio buffer (4096 samples). Using a large buffer like this makes Auria use a lot less of the CPU, especially when running a lot of plugins. The problem is many audio apps don't like (or can't handle) such a large buffer. To alleviate this problem, start the audio program before you start Auria (close all apps first). Or in Auria's settings, turn on Audiobus mode. This setting forces Auria to use a 512 buffer.

The disadvantage with a small buffer, of course is that CPU usage inside Auria will be much larger (often 2-3x more CPU usage).

Rim
Again, thx. I think all of this will greatly improve as the iPads gets stronger.