mixing from individual tracks to sub-groups to master

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

G-master G
Expert

mixing from individual tracks to sub-groups to master

Post by G-master G » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Hello there
I have a really basic question on a topic on which I have no idea: mixing from individual tracks to sub-groups to master.
Firstly, I want to stress that I understand the issues conceptually; ie, why you do it. I just don’t understand how to do it in Auria.
I have 15 tracks in my project and I have 4 sub-groups: Drums, Bass, Guitars, Vocals. These subgroups don’t contain all of the 15 tracks; so for example there is a keyboard track which doesn’t need to be edited or produced within a subgroup and it can go straight to the master.
I have used the strip-channel effects on the sub-groups and I have them sounding the way that I want them to sound.
So now I need to master the 4 subgroups and 3 or for individual tracks that don’t belong to any subgroup (I suppose that I could make them a 5th subgroup on which I don’t use any effects).
Could somebody please explain the steps to:
1. Send the 5 sub-groups to the Master so that I can perform my mastering techniques (if required);
2. Create my master track.wav (is this done via create mixdown?)
Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Grant

syrupcore
Expert

Re: mixing from individual tracks to sub-groups to master

Post by syrupcore » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:48 pm

The subs should already be pointed at master unless you changed it in the output matrix. If you did, just change it back.

And yes re: question two. Go to Menu->Mixdown

G-master G
Expert

Post by G-master G » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Is that it? :-). I am not sure where the mystery is on my part although I suspect it is having spent years sending tracks to be mastered and thinking that I have to create a separate .wav file that I then use in Auria.

In actual fact it is all part of the one process which if I understand correctly goes something like this.

1. Record tracks
2. Edit/process individual tracks
3. Group tracks to subgroups
4. Edit/process subgroups
5. Do master mix
6. Mixdown.
Thanks for helping the penny drop syrupcore.
Cheers
Grant

syrupcore
Expert

Post by syrupcore » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:55 pm

Yep, that's it.

That said, there's something to be said for a separate mastering stage if you're putting out a collection of tunes (album...). In that second pass you can (or preferably your ME can) look at the collection as a whole and balance the songs across the collection with regard to volume, fades/pacing and spectrum.