Newbie question: gain clipping at low volume

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Zippydog
Expert

Newbie question: gain clipping at low volume

Post by Zippydog » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Background:
I've just gotten a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. Set it up briefly and created a new project on my iPad 3, 64G.
I went line out straight off my workstation (Yamaha Motif XF) into the Scarlett.
I tried the line inputs on back and also the mic inputs on front of the Focusrite.
Had signal immediately through both sets of inputs. Nice.

Issue:
Couldn't seem to work out the gain levels to where I was getting clean signal at a nice (full, but not too loud) listening level. I fussed with all the hardware levels on the Focusrite (gains, master, headphones) and also on the channel faders in Auria. Between the individual channels and the master fader, I couldn't seem to get volume to a decent level without my piano sounding like it was going through a Tube Screamer. I could only get a clean signal when the gain was set very low. Tried backing down the volume on the keyboard also - no help.

I'm clearly missing something that will be embarrassingly obvious in Auria. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: I am still in iOs 6, haven't moved to 7 on my iPad (although I'm diggin' 7 on my iPhone!)
Last edited by Zippydog on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spud
Expert

Re: Newbie question: gain clipping at low volume

Post by Spud » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Did you find the recording gain setting that appears when you hold down the record enable button on a track?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Zippydog wrote:I fussed with all the hardware levels on the Focusrite (gains, master, headphones) and also on the channel faders in Auria
Don't forget the Input Record Level on the ChannelStrip (see pg. 33/34 of the latest Auria User Guide): "Auria includes a track-specific input gain adjustment for controlling record levels, separate from the audio interface’s own gain controls. To adjust the recording level on a particular track tap and hold the red record enable button until a pop-up menu appears, and then tap Record Level."

It may not help but, then again, it might :)

EDIT: Spud types faster than me!

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:25 pm

@zippydog:
Plug your headphones into the front panel phones jacks. Does it sound the same or better? Is there a direct monitoring mode so you can listen only to the inputs?
The 1st 2 inputs on the front have switchable input levels. Have you set those for the right signal level?

I don't have one so that's all I can think of. Have you read the manual and/or looked at the Focusrite forums?
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:16 pm

Also, depending on the iOS version you have, don't forget to turn up the volume on the iPad itself (it's the rocker switch on the side of the iPad.

Rim

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks all - had missed the record level knob. Have read the manual and will fiddle with it this weekend. As I said in OP, I've probably just missed something embarrassingly obvious (like the record level knob -doh!).

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Fixed. User error(s). All good!