How about a "maximizing memory" sticky?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Zippydog
Expert

How about a "maximizing memory" sticky?

Post by Zippydog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:07 pm

I've done a few searches and found a few tidbits here & there but not a clear "this is how you optimize memory" thread. Would be nice to have all memory-saving tips in one place. OK....go! (please re-direct me or add a link to any old threads on this). Thanks!

Here are a couple to start:
1. Stop all background apps from running (note: this is done differently in iOs 7 than in 6)
2. Turn off wifi or go to Airplane mode

thebioguy
Expert

Re: How about a "maximizing memory" sticky?

Post by thebioguy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Great idea!

I've been a user for over a year now, but turning off wifi was new for me. It solved sooooo many low resource issues for me on my iPad 2.

There has GOT to be other tricks and tips.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:22 am

This is a weird one. If you see your memory meter getting low, switch to the edit window; you don't have to change settings, zoom in, zoom out, open the channel strip, etc. Then, switch back to the mixer window and a lot of memory is added.

While recording/tracking, I've been working exclusively in the edit window. When I get a memory warning, I switch to the mixer window and the memory meter goes from something like 9 all the way up over 100. I don't have to close the app and can continue to work like that way indefinitely, no closing the app, no restarting the iPad! Just switching the window fixes it. I'm on an iPad 2, iOS 7.0.2, Auria 1.14.

Strange, but it works.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:21 am

You're getting a peek into the mysterious ways iOS manages memory. Sometimes by simply opening and closing windows, iOS will reallocate or shift around memory, and the amount free changes as a result.

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:21 am

Maybe a "suspend background operations" button would be nice to have in a similar vein to the "airplane mode" button. The downside is you would not get reminders, calendar scheduled events, mail etc.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:36 am

Not possible for an app to do unfortunately.

Rim

McKone

Post by McKone » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:45 am

Here's a weird one I just discovered by accident...

ios 7.03 iPad 2 16gig. I've been noticing that memory gets stuck at lower levels. For instance, if I load on too many fx and the memory drops dangerousely low, it doesn't seem to want to come back up if I take them off. Restart doesn't seem to help at all. Stuck.

It also seems that if I have a project open for a long time the available memory slowly falls to the point where I can get stuttering on very simple tracks with no fx on.

Here's the weird solution:

With Auria open, I open up Chrome an load up some content. Then quit out of Chrome (totally quit, not just close the window) and BAM! Auria's available memory jumps right up to usable levels. I've had projects with 5mb memory available jump up to 170mb after doing this. There must be some sort of efficient memory flushing going on when Chrome shuts down. It seems that the more tabs and content I load in Chrome, the more memory frees up in Auria after I quit Chrome.

This has totally allowed me to use Auria in ways I just couldn't before. Try it!