Stereo channels from my synth?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Zippydog
Expert

Stereo channels from my synth?

Post by Zippydog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:19 pm

I've launched my first project (having a blast!) and have run the battery down on my iPad, so thought I'd ask a couple questions while it recharges.

I wish to record songs using my Yamaha Motif XF8 workstation direct to Auria vs. using the sequencer in the synth.
I'm running through a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 interface using two channels as stereo in to the Focusrite, then on to my iPad.

Since a default project in Auria has mono channels, I've created a 2 channel project, then added 24 stereo channels so I could record sounds from the Motif in stereo.

Some questions about this...
1. Am I creating a memory pig by recording a stack of stereo channels or does Auria treat a stereo track the same as mono from a file size standpoint?
2. Not all patches benefit from stereo, should I just be using mono for those?
3. If I delete chunks of tracks where there is no audible recording (ex: before/after an accent instrument used once in the song...like a harp or similar), am I saving memory?

I'm using an iPad 3 with 64G with over 50% free, so I should have a bunch of available memory...looking for ways to have as many stereo tracks as possible and maintain a viable amount of memory to keep working. Are there other ways I can conserve memory?

Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Stereo channels from my synth?

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Auria uses memory for each audio track you create, and stereo tracks take twice as much memory. So only using stereo tracks where they are needed helps. Deleting parts of regions doesn't affect memory at all.

Rim

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Got it - thanks Rim!!

Is there a way to convert a recorded stereo track to mono?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:30 pm

There's no direct way, but you can do a mixdown and set the output to mono. Just solo the track you want before mixing down. This accomplishes the same thing.

Rim