Delete several bars and move everything to the left

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

supanorton
Expert

Delete several bars and move everything to the left

Post by supanorton » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:48 pm

I tried searching this because I think I read something about before but couldn't find what I was looking for. Here's my situation:

I have a 15 track project from which I want to remove several bars. 8 of those tracks are multitrack drum loops with small fills. The audio regions with backing vocals and guitar solo are punched in on the track rail, leaving empty space where there's no audio.

Here's my problem/question:

I want to delete one of what was going to be the song's chorus (it'll work better as a middle eight). I did a split all on either side of the section I want to delete, then deleted all the audio on every track. Great so far. Outside of using multi-select (there are too many regions and some of them are layered, which creates other problems), is there a way to move every region on every track several bars to the left? I've tried it with multi-select but some of the regions are small, and they're not all in line with each other.

I hope this makes sense. There's probably an easier way to ask this question. Thanks for any help in advance.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Delete several bars and move everything to the left

Post by Rim » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 am

The best way to select a bunch of regions is to draw a highlight around everything you want to select, then use the Select Highlighted Regions menu item. This selects everything within the highlight range. Now you just grab one of the regions and they'll all move together (even the small ones, because they're selected too).

You can also use the "Link Locators and Highlight" option first, so all you have to do is define a locator range (blue), and Auria will highlight all the tracks wherever you have the locators set.

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:05 am

Awesome feature, saved me a lot of time. Thanks, Rim.

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 am

supanorton wrote:Awesome feature, saved me a lot of time. Thanks, Rim.
+1!! Could have used this yesterday! :-)

Zippydog
Expert

Post by Zippydog » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Stating the obvious perhaps, but deleting bars and moving the remaining music forward is best to do using Bars:Beats in the counter bar (vs. Min:Seconds). Easier to see and make a clean cut that is sure to be in tempo with the song.

I did the following over the weekend to cut four bars out of the end of a song and then move the last measure forward:

1. Changed counter to Bars:Beats
2. Select all regions, then split all regions five bars before end of song
3. Split all regions again between bars four and five of the newly split regions
4. Delete four measures of content betwen splits (bars 1-4 of the end), leaving bar 5 at the end
5. Select all regions for bar 5 and drag them forward to where bar 1 of last 5 had been
6. "Join" bar 5 to previous regions and add fades to all regions to fade the song out.
Done - seamless edit.

Again, this isn't complicated stuff, but it sure is cool!!

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Many editing suites allow cutting of the timeline. Now I understand that this is counter intuitive in Auria where the majority of people want to keep the timeline intact. How about the option of a Slip Right and Slip Left (selectable by buttons in edit window) whereby when you select a clip all items to the right or left are grouped for sliding along the timeline. This grouping would only affect sliding and not fade handles. This principle is used in SADiE. Rim also check out Pinnacle Studio an iPad App where when you drag the right handle of a video clip everything on the right moves along with it. As I say needs to be switchable. Hope the suggestion helps.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:20 am

A Slip mode is a good idea, but I'm frankly running out of icon space ;) I'll add it to the list thought. Good idea.

Rim

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:01 am

One thought Rim could be to turn it on and off in Settings instead of in the Edit window. For some it is used very occasionally, however for speech editing you might leave it on all the time.