midi sequencer

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Peanutcram
Expert

Re: midi sequencer

Post by Peanutcram » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:42 am

Yay! One Step further... :D
I get control on Thesys' Start/stop from Auria. There is a trigger button in Thesys that needs to be set.
So now I can Start/stop and even record.
BUT I still dont get sound on an armed track when not recording.
Ideas anyone?
Thx

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:17 am

Pleased to hear you're one step further forward :)

Am I right in guessing that you hear a short burst of sound as soon as you hit Stop after trying to play Thesys from Auria?

To be honest, it still confuses me how Auria (and other apps too) handles buffer size within the Audiobus environment. Having said that, I have a feeling that Thesys is one of a few apps that doesn't work flawlessly with Auria (under Audiobus, that is).

I hope @Rim will be able to explain it for you/us (again? - sorry, Rim :( ).

Question for @Rim: Under Audiobus, does Auria match the Audiobus buffer size during playback, or only during recording?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:54 am

Auria and Audiobus (and all audio apps) are stuck with the way CoreAudio works: The first app that runs gets to decide the buffer size. So if you launch an app first with a large buffer size, all subsequent apps (and Audiobus) are forced to use that size. This is why it's important to close all apps first (by double tapping on the home button), then launch Audiobus first, followed by the apps you want to use. This guarantees that everyone is using 256 or 512.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks, Rim :) In that case, perhaps Thesys is one of those few apps that are problematic with Auria/Audiobus :(

It does seem to be that, even after scrupulously following all your advice regarding preparation and app load-order, Thesys is only audible, through Audiobus and Auria, during record but not during playback/audition. Thesys is presumably pumping audio through Audiobus but nothing registers on Auria's meters, if Auria's transport is active, until transport is stopped. At that moment, there's a short burst of the reverb tail from Thesys, which also registers on Auria's meters.

I've just noticed that if Thesys is put into play from Thesys itself (either by switching to Thesys or via Thesys's controls in the Audiobus control panel) it's output auditions with no problem in Auria - until Play is pressed in Auria. Frustrating!

Any conclusions, Rim?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:39 am

Do you have Auria in "Audiobus Mode"?

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 am

Rim wrote:Do you have Auria in "Audiobus Mode"?Rim
I've tried with "Audiobus Mode" off and also on (starting everything off from scratch, in between). Makes no difference.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:02 am

OK, have you tried disabling Auto Input Monitor? When this is on, it disables input monitoring during playback.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 am

Rim wrote:OK, have you tried disabling Auto Input Monitor? When this is on, it disables input monitoring during playback.
Magic! Problem solved. Thesys under full transport control by Auria, including tempo change. Well done, Rim :D Thank you.

@Peanutcram: Did you follow that? Now you can try and get Nave into the equation - if it's not too great a burden on CPU ;)

Thanks again, RIm

Edit: Apologies to Sugar Bytes and WaveMachineLabs for suggesting that Thesys and Auria do not work well together. It was an unintended aspersion. In fact, they appear to work very nicely together, indeed. 8) Also "Doh!" for overlooking 'Auto Input Monitor'. It makes perfect sense, when I think about it.

Peanutcram
Expert

Post by Peanutcram » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:58 am

Thank you very much my friends! Everything is perfect now. All problems are solved and my midi era is about to begin.
Life makes Sense again :D

Thx& rock on

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:14 am

Hi @Washboy,

How did you managed to control Thesys transport from Auria?
I did a rout Thesys(midi)->ISEM(audio)->Auria.
I set the midi in Auria, MTC+MMC+Clock output to Thesys.
I listen in Thesys midi input to Auria, but pressing play in Auria doesn't start Thesys.

Edit: I record via AudioBus.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:06 pm

@Shay: My best advice is to read back over this thread and look at the screenshots I made of Auria and Thesys settings. In Auria you only need to set 'Send Clock' to Thesys (so that Thesys will follow tempo changes in Auria). You don't need to send MTC or MMC but it's important to set 'Send MIDI Start/Stop' to ON. Check the screenshots. Thesys needs to be configured for MIDI too (again, see screenshots).

That's what worked for me but I'm no expert on any if this! :wink:

Good luck.

P.S. If you decide not to send clock, because you only want to control start/stop, then I think you need to 'Send Notes' to Thesys instead. I don't know why :?

Kloon
Expert

Post by Kloon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Rim wrote:Yes, it's in the works for a future version.

Rim
Hi all, my first post here. And i actually dont own auria yet, but im getting closer in pushing the "buy" button.
Just a friendly question regarding midi sequencer implement, are we talking 6 months or more away?
Just finnished the whole Lynda.com tuturial and im absolutely sold on the interface.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Welcome! I don't have a solid date yet on the midi version, and I'm terrible at guesses. I wish I could give you a better answer!

Rim

Kloon
Expert

Post by Kloon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Ok, thanks for the fast reply and welcome. Will probably jump onboard anyway! :)