Looking at purchasing Drumagog, need impressions/advice

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Looking at purchasing Drumagog, need impressions/advice

Post by ChrisG » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Ok so I've collected and purchased thousands and thousands of loops through the years. Most of these loops are accoustic stuff, and a lot of what I wanna change is single tracked loops containing a lot of elements (like basdrum,snare, hi hats, cymbals, various percussion sounds usually and so on). So my loops aren't multi tracked stuff.

I've gathered that if you don't do multitrackd loops you can EQ out the snare, basdrum, hihats etc so Drumagog only triggers sounds coming in on certain frequencies. Is that correct? And is it a somewhat painless thing to do in Auria w. Drumagog? Got a lot of old samples funky shit and break beats that I guess can be a bit of a bitch to filter..

Also, are the hihats stil l available, and does the Auria version do hihats?

Or is it all strictly for more or less clean material that is super easy to filter and/or multi tracked loops. Would I be wasting money on Drumagog if I'm looking for a way to "quickly" change the kick, snare, hi hats, cymbals and perc on a loop sampled from a 70s vinyl record?

gjcyrus
Expert

Re: Looking at purchasing Drumagog, need impressions/advice

Post by gjcyrus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi Chris, I bought drumagog awhile back for similar reasons to you but truthfully got busy with other projects to fully dive i to it. At least for me, it wasnt as simple as I thought it would be. I cant remember exactly but I think i even tried using fab filter q and sweeping the eq using a narrow q to try to pin point the exact kicks and messing with the sensitivity settings/blends on drumagog and still found it to not be as easy so am hoping others can chime in with a practical solution.
I'm also on an ipad mini so running both drumagog and fab filter isnt the best thing to do so maybe copying and pasting the track to another track with extreme eq and filtering to really separate the kick, hihat, whatever might be one workaround.

goodluck

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:10 pm

DGog works well replacing kick drum, snare, ride or toms as long they are isolated on their own tracks. Never tried hats but I don't see why not.

Good variety of sounds that mix well.

Pretty easy to use too.

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks gjsyrus. Ok so it sounds like it might not be the right tool here (atleast not without some serious patience and EQing around). Maybe a regular beat slicer that just detects hits a la Recycle is the better solution for that kind of stuff.

What kind of producers uses drumagog?

Simpler stuff then, like making a beat in DM-1 with just kick, snare and a hihat. Is drumagog a faster approach to changing the sounds, then just rather go into DM-1 and look for new samples for your loop?

-----

Thanks mingle. Yea multitracked stuff I gathered is easy. Re the hihats, I read somewhere that the Auria version doesn't do hihats (or maybe it's just that the samples for those are not included in the Auria version)

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:53 pm

where do you guys get drum samples? do you have any to share?

gjcyrus
Expert

Post by gjcyrus » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:28 am

@ChrisG - One of my fave producers, Alan Moulder has used that "technique", not specifically DrumaGog to my knowledge. He's produced nine inch nails, smashing pumpkins, a ton of early 90's UK bands but it was his producing of Jesus and Mary chains honeys dead album that really blew my mind on drums. Me and my friend jokingly call it lovers rock because they're heavy drums with a heavy kick due to the electronic kick sample he layered in.

To my knowledge, DrumaGog, layering samples over live drums is pretty common nowadays and has been for several years (good biz for Rim hopefully ;)

@ vejichan - you have to own the online DrumaGog version I believe in order to load your own/create your own samples.

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:21 am

Rim wrote:Drumagog can load any wav or aiff files. Just put a file in Auria's root folder using iTunes File Sharing. The version of Drumagog in Auria can't create gog files, though. You'll need the PC/Mac version for that.

There are many third party gog file collections you might like. Just look at drumagog.com for these extra libraries. Any gog file collection can be loaded into the Auria version of Drumagog without a problem.

Rim
Works great for layering if you do not have drums isolated.

It lets me use my own wav files. You need desktop to create gog files per RIm post.

RkM

BlackBox
Expert

Post by BlackBox » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Drummagog=Aweosme! I recently this last year got a 1818 and a nice drum kit. Came up a bit short with mice and have been making due with mid range MXL condensers and a 57 i5 and CAD drum mic kit. everything other than the CADS are getting me by pretty well The CAD's are mainly for live but don't sound too bad recorded but Drummagog has made the whole caboodle so much better! I don't lay samples on thick! I like to preserve as much as I can in the real drums and still go through all the motions to dial them in. Depending on the sound I am going for I usually use anywhere between 10%-25% blend. There are so many GOG files out there you can get just for free that will keep you pretty satisfied!

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Can anyone help as to how this could work with midi drum kits?

I don't have a nice accoustic kit and mics, so I use a Roland electric kit. I do this through sample tank via audiobus which works, but I seem to end up with latency probs. is there a more direct way of doing this?

Also, will Drumagog work with this setup? This method leaves you with a single stereo track with all the kit on it. Is Drumagog clever enough to work out which is the kick, snare, Tom etc? If so, that would be great. I could record the track once then mess about with sounds after. If not, does anyone know how I can separate out the different parts of the drum recording into different tracks?

In short, will Drumagog solve all my problems?

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Drumagog needs your drum tracks to be separate (kick, snare, etc). If you can get them onto separate tracks, Drumagog will work for you, but it's not designed to be used on mixed tracks.

Rim