JamUp - Standalone vs. In-app version?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: JamUp - Standalone vs. In-app version?

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:41 pm

That's correct - they are two completely separate apps. The one inside Auria was written by Positive Grid specifically for Auria and doesn't have any in-app options available.

Rim

Lester Ballard

Post by Lester Ballard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:30 pm

That's what I'm finding yes, plus the iap itself is pretty limited and does not have any expansion options.

Lester

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:42 pm

Correct. And I agree about their marketing. I beta tested final touch but I have to say now it's a pretty big letdown and I never use it. Bias is great, but the bias desktop seems to have their full attention. Still, jamup is the best ampsim for bassists right now (and even more so with bias integration). I'd love the splitter idea from tonestack to find its way into jamup though, that's awesome for combining a bass amp and a distorted guitar amp for some very cool bass sounds.

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:43 am

mrufino1 wrote:I beta tested final touch but I have to say now it's a pretty big letdown and I never use it. Bias is great, but the bias desktop seems to have their full attention.
@mrufino, I couldn't agree more. On Positive Grid's Facebook page (which seems to be the avenue they use for communication and announcements), they had a post a few days ago about some new they were working on? Can't find it on their page though, it may have been a response to another post.

Every post to their page is about Amp Matching, and the desktop Bias. I guess I'm just feeling a bit left out on ios.........
:( 8)

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 am

Tourniquet wrote:
mrufino1 wrote:I beta tested final touch but I have to say now it's a pretty big letdown and I never use it. Bias is great, but the bias desktop seems to have their full attention.
@mrufino, I couldn't agree more. On Positive Grid's Facebook page (which seems to be the avenue they use for communication and announcements), they had a post a few days ago about some new they were working on? Can't find it on their page though, it may have been a response to another post.

Every post to their page is about Amp Matching, and the desktop Bias. I guess I'm just feeling a bit left out on ios.........
:( 8)

Meanwhile the mastering app can't edit or apply fades to files, making it an effects chain. I'm not on Facebook so I don't know what they post, but it know the amp matching has been their focus. They've always been very nice when I've interacted with them, but I think they have their plans and don't really want input from outsiders. That's ok, I'm not running the company nor am I an employee. But, the mastering app is incomplete and the behavior that most bugs me is devs leaving apps incomplete and then coming out with other products. In this respect, Rim has been great, not allowing anything to take the focus off of auria development. I know igog users want to see it updated, but I think auria is a more significant product that is leading the way and definitely pushing boundaries and it's still in its relative infancy.

Anyway, I think in ios music circles good products and word of mouth are the best advertising. Other companies can market through the apple store, etc to the average ios user, touting the first mic for recording to ios and such, but the good, lasting tools are coming from committed developers doing good work.

Oops, I slipped off of my soapbox, time for the chiro...;-)

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:10 pm

So, for a guitarist who likes effects, should I get Jamup? I get the impression that it's good for amp simulation, but how are the effects? I like loads of presets to get you started which you can fiddle with. Also like some of the more off-the-wall sounds with chorus, flange, delays etc. A good use of my Christmas iTunes voucher? :)

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Bob Amser wrote:So, for a guitarist who likes effects, should I get Jamup? I get the impression that it's good for amp simulation, but how are the effects? I like loads of presets to get you started which you can fiddle with. Also like some of the more off-the-wall sounds with chorus, flange, delays etc. A good use of my Christmas iTunes voucher? :)
It's still my favorite guitar app. I get the most usable/realistic true guitar sounds out of JamUp. I've downloaded a few presets from users that utilize the octaver pedal, some hefty delay, it sounds pretty funky. I think the effects are very good in JamUp. Maybe they are as good, or better in ToneStack, but ToneStack is too noisey for my uses. And nowhere near the Metal sounds possible like in JamUp.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:41 pm

The effects are very good in jamup, despite what I said I love the app and use it constantly. The fact that it caters to bassists as well is a huge plus for me (the ebs octave pedal simulation and the brassmaster sim are fantastic)

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Don't overlook AmpKit. There are a ton of excellent effects; it really is very good at high gain, and there is a ton of presets. Of course, you have to spend $ on all the IAPs. They are running a special on the "unlock all bundles" right now. Not sure what it would cost. I have almost all their amps and pedals and find it to be a very stable and reliable app. Another interesting feature is that there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many pedals you can use at a time. It also has some stereo effects, which are cool.

Having said that, it doesn't suit all my needs. Each guitar app has a place for what I do.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:25 am

It's a matter of taste and what style you play - I don't do high gain stuff and and I don't really like Jamup or Ampkit. I prefer Flying Haggis and Tonestack, and I am also totally convinced that the FX emulations in Tonestack are far more convincing than the ones Jamup, they sound way better to my ears. I haven't found Tonestack too noisy but that might be because I play a humbucker guitar rather than single coil.

eustressor
Expert

Post by eustressor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Bob Amser wrote:So, for a guitarist who likes effects, should I get Jamup? I get the impression that it's good for amp simulation, but how are the effects? I like loads of presets to get you started which you can fiddle with. Also like some of the more off-the-wall sounds with chorus, flange, delays etc. A good use of my Christmas iTunes voucher? :)
FabFilter's Saturn plug-in does a fair amount of amp modeling plus a LOT more. And loads of presets. If you're looking for a distortion plug-in inside Auria, you might want to check out FabFilter's Tutorial for it on YouTube.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Really helpful, thanks :D

Sorry, though, one more question...

I would prefer the plugin for workflow, but is the standalone app much better? Also can you download other people's presets into the plugin?

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:51 am

I think if you want a plugin then Overloud THM is head and shoulders above Jamup.

It's also pretty cheap to check out the individual apps, just get the basic/free versions of Jamup and Tonestack and compare them. Flying Haggis is also not expensive, and doesn't have any IAPs, so when you buy it you get the whole package.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:18 am

If you like loads of presets the THM Overloud plug comes with dozens of them many sounds styles effects etc.
I also love the sounds- I much prefer it to jamup- also one can use the effects without having to run
through an amp. It's also bright and cheery looking jamup graphics always seem dark and foreboding which
of course isn't necessarily a bad thing- Hey get them both!
Best in your quest
jp

claudel
Expert

Post by claudel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 am

I like to use the plugin JamUp because it's simple to run a second track with the uneffected signal.

I like to do that to have a track of the plain "performance" which often can come in handy.

It seems to be difficult to split the signal before the standalone JamUp.

It would be nice to be able to use the IAPs I bought in this configuration.

PG seems to be more interested in genning up new business than they are in finishing what they've already sold. :(

That will make me slow to break out the wallet in the future, not that that seems to be a concern.

Edit:

I wrote this before I read about the pending Auria upgrade. What a contrast. Thanks Rim...