Moving 15 Tracks, 8 Bars To The Right

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

howardlib

Moving 15 Tracks, 8 Bars To The Right

Post by howardlib » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Any help on this please would be most welcome. I need to make a new beginning of the song so need to move all tracks up without disturbing the effects etc. Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Moving 15 Tracks, 8 Bars To The Right

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:13 pm

When you say move all tracks up, do you mean you want to move a bunch of regions to the right in the timeline, or do you mean you want to move some track up in the track order (in order words, track 5 becomes track 4, etc).

If you mean moving regions to the right, that's easy. Just select the regions you want to move using the multiselect tool. Once you have all the regions you want selected, just tap and hold, then move them to the right.

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:13 pm

Selecting multiple regions can also be done by fence, selecting everything within the fenced area.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

howardlib

Post by howardlib » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:33 am

Moving tracks in the timeline to the right but it's all so obvious when u know how so thank you. I love this site!

Kloon
Expert

Post by Kloon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:00 am

Just make sure you unfreeze!
I learned the hard way! :oops:

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Kloon wrote:Just make sure you unfreeze!
I learned the hard way! :oops:
I never even thought about that. Thanks Kloon.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Doing any kind of editing on a frozen track is not allowed, including moving regions on that track. But there's a bug that allows you to do it if you select multiple regions, then move them (which will result in unpredictable behavior).

Rim

Kloon
Expert

Post by Kloon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:55 pm

I had a bit of a lag problem after unfreezing a 36 track remix im working on, because i needed to add bars to the beginning. when i was about too freeze the tracks again the freeze button became unresponsive, but started freeze the track after about 30 sec. I quess it was because the cpu was above 140% :roll:

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:01 pm

How do I move track(s) to another project -- or up & down in the same project -- without disturbing the effects/automation on the moved track(s)? Simply using "Import Audio", I lose the effects.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 pm

You can easily move tracks up or down in the same project (but not between projects). This is done by taping and holding on the track bar in the editor, then dragging the track to the new position. The track bat is located on the left side of the editor.

If you want to use the same effects in a different project, you can also save presets for your plugins, then use that preset in your new project. Presets work across projects.

Rim

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 am

Hi Rim
Thanks for getting back to me. You are probably aware that moving tracks up or down via the track bat regularly produces unpredictable, inaccurate results. If I try to move a track one space up, it may very likely end up two or three spaces below the original placement. I have found it easier to move a track as a region to where I want it, then renaming the track bat as needed. Of course, I have to re-draw effect automation too, which is what I was trying to find a way around.

If I understand correctly, there is also no way to keep effects automation on a track when it is moved to another project -- I will have to re-draw the automation every time, which is not that big a deal -- but my main concern is saving tracks to a computer though file sharing without losing effects info. The "Mix Down" function may allow me to keep effect info via freezing the track, but I don't like using mix down any more due to the automatic compression stealing the punch (high & low freqs) from my tracks. Any other ideas?

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:55 am

Hey
I think I just figured it out: Re-record the track with effects real time on to another track, then replace the original track. It's a long way around the barn to get to the house, but it works.
I notice the gain is slightly reduced when recording like this. Can you tell me if this is due to any un-wanted compression?

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:15 am

hotlipslawson wrote:The "Mix Down" function may allow me to keep effect info via freezing the track, but I don't like using mix down any more due to the automatic compression stealing the punch (high & low freqs) from my tracks. Any other ideas?
Are you sure about this? Mixdown should be lossless AFAIK.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:21 am

Mixdown is definitely lossless (as long as you choose 24 or 32 bit WAV or AIF in the options).

Moving tracks should be very accurate. I haven't seen an instance where it ends up on the wrong track. One tip is to watch the thick line that appears in between the track divisions. This line tells you where Auria is going to place the track your moving. In other words, if you want the track you're moving to end up in between track 2 and 3, just make sure the thick line appears in between 2 and 3, then let go.

Rim

hotlipslawson
Expert

Post by hotlipslawson » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Although I don't have a spectrum analyzer, it certainly sounds different with an A/B comparison. I don't think it's my imagination. A mixed-down track is always quite a bit smaller than the original as well, so I've assumed it's due to automatic compression during a Mixdown. (?)

I always stay with 24 bit, so I don't think that's an issue. For what it's worth, I almost always Mixdown "stems", which does not allow a sample rate option, if I remember right. (?) Since it is simpler & faster to do Mixdowns, I would prefer to do that, so please advise if there might be anything else I might be doing to cause the loss of "punch".