Avantone mixcube

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rocdok
Expert

Avantone mixcube

Post by rocdok » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:03 am

I know little about monitors other than a bit of reading in 'mixing secrets' by Mike Senior and internet browsing. I found a site showing that to connect from the ipad headphone jack to the mixcube I'd need to make a jack:
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showt ... =5&o=&vc=1
-seems a bit difficult...at a glance. Anyone use this mixcube ? Any advice? I'm not terribly picky (yet) and wanna spend preferably around 500 or less for near field monitor(s). I have an ipad 5 now and apogee one and am very happy with these but my computer monitors are crap. Thx

dominicperry
Expert

Re: Avantone mixcube

Post by dominicperry » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:35 pm

Don't buy Avantone Mixcube(s) as your only monitor(s). They are meant to test what a mix will sound like on a crappy radio or similar consumer device. Buy some full range monitors as your first purchase.

All this cable is doing is summing stereo signals to mono for the purposes of monitoring on a single Mixcube. You should do your monitoring in stereo first and preferably check the mono mix either with a sotfware setting, or with a button on your audio interface. At a push, on iOS you can go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility and choose 'Mono Audio'.

Dominic

rocdok
Expert

Re: Avantone mixcube

Post by rocdok » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Good advice thanks I will take it.