What's better than DM1 ?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ygagnon
Expert

Re: What's better than DM1 ?

Post by ygagnon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:21 pm

I bought the app the day it came out .. and was able to create a very convincing sounding drum track with it (using the Jazz kit that it defaults to .. which sounds better than any of the other kits, I believe). But as it stands right now, there are several things about the app that make it unusable to me in it's present v1.0 state:

1) There's no undo functionality. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally pressed on "Paste" when I intended to press on "save" .. which was very frustrating.

2) It appears that you can't have a pattern that's more than 4 bars in length, which makes song creation very time consuming (DM1 doesn't appear to have this limitation).

3) The drums are so damn quiet. I always have to turn all of the volume controls to their "full blast" setting, but even then, the drums just don't seem loud enough. I suspect that there's a good reason for this, though. (Perhaps to allow for adequate headroom when tinkering with velocities ?)

4) On my IPad 2 16gb .. I am not able to load more than 2 different drum kits without the app crashing .. nor am I able to export separate tracks to my Dropbox account without the app crashing.

I can deal with some of these bugs, but that last one about not being able to export separate tracks to DropBox is a huge deal breaker for me. I can't see any reason why this shouldn't work on my IPad 2. Has anyone else here encountered this same problem?

Anyways, .. I still think it's a great app despite the bugs. I only hope that I won't need to buy one of the newer IPads in order to be able to use it. I've got my fingers crossed for version 1.1 :)

- Yvan

r3watson
Expert

Post by r3watson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:41 am

I'm loving the naturalness of DrumPerfect! The 4-beat limit does seem limiting, but if you export, you can increase the length to 4,8, etc., measures. I've been exporting to AudioShare to normalize the loops. Okay, the payoff is that if you've added some of the subtle probability, you'll get incredible variations on the original measure. It sounds so cool to hear the changes that come up, making the human factor seem nearly real.

I also agree that the kits that come with DrumPerfect sound amazing. I can hear the air in the kick drum when it hits, and the variation in samples played for each drum add another dimension of reality. The hi hats sound great, too - and great cymbals.

After normalizing the loops in AudioShare, I then copy/paste them into Auria, and away I go!

Final note: the interface does take a bit to get used to, but once the workflow becomes apparent, you can really get things done.

Cheers,
Randall :shock:

rowboat

Post by rowboat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:58 pm

This was posted in the Drum Perfect Forum

I quote:
"You can have up to 32 beats in a pattern, where each beat can be subdivided into up to 16 subbeats. Suppose we would set the time signature of a pattern to 16/4 and the subdivision to 4, we could interpret the pattern as 4 4/4 measures with 1/16 resolution. Or for a 2-bar type of pattern: set the time signature to 8/4."

May be worth checking out the DrumPerfect Forum. I would like to see this continue its development, because its looking good. :D