Ipad air happy but sad

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rocdok
Expert

Ipad air happy but sad

Post by rocdok » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:18 pm

I just went from ipad 3 -64 to ipad air 128. I had a ton a trouble on 3 and overall I am super happy with 5 but haven't tried overloud TCM yet. I recorded 2 days with no trouble with 14 tracks with compression (ffpro C)and eq (pro Q)on all tracks and reverb ( classic pro most and one convolution)on some. I am working through Lynda.com and several books and a zillion user manuals for apps as a newbie and am loading tracks up for learning reasons even if not needed. I put some mild compression (fexpansion buscomp)on the 5 subs and a bit on the master. I have all the tracks frozen and no apps open and finally got my first crash. I was disappointed having thought the 5 might be invincible based on some youtubes running 48 tracks supposedly. I note that subs don't freeze. I was unable to add small reverb on one sub- that's when it died. I have read previous advice from Rim and forgot some of it- my record monitor is on, latency samples at 256, soft start is off and input monitor Is on but I think I'm supposed to turn off(?). Apart from rebooting ipad, having no other apps on and keeping tracks frozen, I am thankful for any other advice. Thx!

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Ipad air happy but sad

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 am

The YouTube video that you are referring to is mine. And if you noticed it advertises Auria playing back 48 tracks not recording with FX and 48 tracks. I also made other videos demonstrating the maximum recording tracks with FX and that was 14-16 tracks using Fabfilter plugins like Saturn, ProQ, Pro C. Ect. Just watch the video that says I put Auria in the Red with the iPad Air. I tried to give an honest demo of the iPad Air and Auria. All my videos are recorded live so what you see is really going on, theres no smoke and mirrors just the facts. You should be freezing every track that you record and apply FX to before attempting to record another. As another tip you should not apply too many FX until your mixing. While recording it shouldn't be necessary to hear your tracks back like the finished product. This is how even the Pros with tons of computing power do it as they sometimes record up to 120 tracks. Good luck and remember that the iPad Air still only has 1 gb Ram memory and Fab and the rest require memory and CPU as they go hand in hand. Hope this clears things up. The video was made to inform you not sway you towards the iPad Air as the holy grail to Auria. Cheers.

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:05 am

Thx, my wording could have been better as I meant no disrespect to you Anthony. I did in fact disable some effects on my ipad 3 quite often in order to make progress. The problem, as you know, was I when if was getting near the end and listening to individual tracks with other track effects disabled, I was trying to figure out how i would be able to listen to the whole song with their respective effects just before mix down and it literally would not run so I had to forego some effects.
The air is still way better. I did not feel mislead in any way, just disappointed. Refreezing tracks is way faster and thing move to touch without the jitters and that is great. Sorry you felt I was criticizing u, I wasn't. It is great that you take the time to make youtubes.
Thx for the reassurance.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:48 am

Thanks. Here is what I do when I am close to wanting to hear the final mix but my cpu is goin nuts. I take the tracks that I feel are really great and that I'm pretty sure I won't be tweaking too much more. I solo that track and render it, that is ,mix it down. Make sure to name it as such like Guitar Trk 1 mixed. Do this to all of these types of tracks. Then make sure you save your project. Even back it up if this is a real time spent project.
Now go to the tracks that were mixdown and delete them from the project as well remove those track plugins and IMPORT AUDIO into each track with the mixed down versions. You can now hear the project as you wanted to with no strain on the cpu other than your buss FX and the final tracks that your tweaking. In the end you shold have a project up that has all your tracks loaded with NO fx pluged into the tracks. Just the Buss FX. Then mix-that all down ready for your mastering or you may even still have enough cpu headroom to master the mix rather than a stereo file.
One might say isn't that what freezing does? In my tests I would argue no. Why? I think it's because the plugins are still active in the background ready to be unfrozen or something else but I found playing back pre-effected tracks allowed me to have more tracks up especially if I wanted to engage record. This is also useful if you want to lay new tracks while hearing a cooler mix to help inspire you while tracking as many artists prefer this method.
Hope this helps. Remember you can always go back to the saved project and start again.

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Fantastic. Best advice. Thanks for taking the time and hope that helps a bunch of others. I'm now excited!

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:44 am

You're running reverb on every track, any particular reason? Using your aux bus to send to reverbs is far more efficient. Also, if you're playing in a band, every instrument will it be completely in its own space, so having the same reverb (with different levels going to it) across different parts ties your mix together. Also, don't forget your channel strips. The fabfilter plugins are great, but so are the channel strips. You can save some CPU by using the compressors and eq on those as well. Especially the compression, if you are doing "utility type" compression where you're not necessarily needing a ton of character from your compressor, use the channel strip. The bus compressors on the buses and master are great too.
And, the air isn't limitless, but it is much better than the 2 or 3 for auria. When you use some practical guidelines though it will do what you need. It hasn't let me down yet.

leedgitar

Post by leedgitar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:30 am

Anthony Alves wrote:Thanks. Here is what I do when I am close to wanting to hear the final mix but my cpu is goin nuts. I take the tracks that I feel are really great and that I'm pretty sure I won't be tweaking too much more. I solo that track and render it, that is ,mix it down. Make sure to name it as such like Guitar Trk 1 mixed. Do this to all of these types of tracks. Then make sure you save your project. Even back it up if this is a real time spent project.
Now go to the tracks that were mixdown and delete them from the project as well remove those track plugins and IMPORT AUDIO into each track with the mixed down versions.
I just bought Auria, so I'm still learning the ropes. What is the benefit to doing the individual track mixdowns vs. freezing the tracks?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:39 pm

As I mentioned that in my many tests I have found that with the Plugins still ready to be loaded after being frozen that the playback count was much less especially if I engaged record. I don't really know the technical reason but I had no problem playing back 48 tracks in stereo with even all the channel strips actuve on all channels plus a few plugins on the master but when I am recirding and freezing tracks I find that the playback is much less and is project and plugin dependant which you never actually know at which point the cpu is going to overload and Auria crashes so it is much safer to do it they way I explained and if a crash does occurr you literally still have the already effected tracks to restore the same sound you had originally. You don't have to worry about a corrupted snapshot or even lost plugin settings,it also gets you closer to your final mix faster which usually results in more tracks and songs being recorded and finalized. Cheers and hope that makes sence.

leedgitar

Post by leedgitar » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Yup that makes sense, thanks for the response Anthony. I'll keep that in mind once I start tracking some songs if the CPU starts going too crazy.

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:04 pm

mrufino1 wrote:You're running reverb on every track, any particular reason? Using your aux bus to send to reverbs is far more efficient. Also, if you're playing in a band, every instrument will it be completely in its own space, so having the same reverb (with different levels going to it) across different parts ties your mix together. Also, don't forget your channel strips. The fabfilter plugins are great, but so are the channel strips. You can save some CPU by using the compressors and eq on those as well. Especially the compression, if you are doing "utility type" compression where you're not necessarily needing a ton of character from your compressor, use the channel strip. The bus compressors on the buses and master are great too.
And, the air isn't limitless, but it is much better than the 2 or 3 for auria. When you use some practical guidelines though it will do what you need. It hasn't let me down yet.
No particular reason for reverb on every track, just experimenting and I read that ideally the reverb on each voice or instrument should be different to help separate the sounds in the stereo image. I thought if I dialled in reverb on the Aux it would be the same reverb? I did read about the efficiency but wasn't thinking about the CPU. I'm a newbie who is recording hands on and slowly (months) reading books and watching Lynda.com. I only have so much time, and like other newbies don't want to annoy everyone, so advice from you about channel strip vs the plugins and CPU is invaluable. I could have started off with only channel strips but pretty much bought everything in one go when they went on sale. They cut my master card off i bought so much in one go (other apps as well) I haven't watched the vids dedicated to reverb, delay etc but some of bootcamp and all of Auria. I'm unclear on many things including obvious stuff. I find the fab eq easier to use out of the box but just learned more on the bootcamp so if less CPU usage I'll start using that first. Can you tell me why the 'bus compressor' is directed at being used on the buses and master- that wasn't clear to me versus the channel strip?
Thanks for your help.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:29 am

rocdok wrote:... and like other newbies don't want to annoy everyone...
I don't think you need be concerned about annoying anyone here. Your question is a valid one and you've already researched the subject before asking. I'm sure there will be many others who are interested in the answers and comments. Thank you for asking.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:00 am

No problem we are all here to help you. Channel compression vs Buss compression is this. Compressors that are dedicated to busses are for smoothing and gluing a mix together. In other words a drum kit with 5 tracks gets all sent to a buss channel and then one buss compressor is inserted so that the same compression is used on the whole drum kit rather than the single channel compressor on each individual drum track. Using a single channel compressor on all those drum tracks can induce uneveness and even pumping. Although there are many ways to experiment with these two types of compressors the general rule is to use a channel compressor on single channels and the buss compressor on the main and the 8 busses. So simply if your trying to control one sound (vocal,guitar,piano,bass) than a single channel compressor will give you more control over that single track, more surgical sort of speak. But if you need to glue a few tracks together or especially an entire mix like ( 4 backing vocals, a string section, a drum kit, horn section) than the Buss compressor does this very well. Cheers and hope this helped.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:59 am

There's no particular difference in a bus compressor vs. channel compressor. Different compressors are sometimes outfitted with different options. In the case of the bus compressors in auria, they have a blend knob to mix the dry and compressed signal (parallel compression), and an auto release setting, which adapts the release time of the compressor based on the signal going into it. Also, the channel compressors have an rms mode (I think that's the label), which has the compressor look more at average level than individual peaks.

As far as the intended use, yes, bus compression would be intended to work on a group of sounds rather than an individual track, but any compressor used in this manner would be a "bus compressor." Look at Michael brauer's website for a cool take on the bus compression concept.

Reverb? Typically things in the same space would have the same reverb because they're in the same space. I recently have been using multiple reverbs, with different amounts sent to each. Typically a short room reverb with lots if early reflections, a medium reverb, like a hall or large room, and a big reverb that sets a "back wall." Then I might use a plate type on vocals, with some delays too. All to give the impression that's there's not much reverb. Makes sense as you try it, at least to me. I use audio reverb, by virsyn, through audiobus and an aux (auria aux 1 or 2 in the input slot of audiobus, reverb in effect, auria as output, and record it as a track, then repeat for next reverb). It takes some planning and sometimes redoing it, but it does work.
Many other ways to use reverb too, as long as what you're doing sounds good to you.

Oh, and no worries, the questions were not stupid or annoying at all. Asking questions is a great way to learn new things. As is the most important thing you're doing, Which is trying different things. People stumble upon new ways if doing things that everyone else then adopts by trying new things.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 pm

M/S Mode stands for mid/side channel referencing and is also found on a very good compressor. Notice that the ProC is a channel compressor when inserted into a single track yet still a Buss compressor when inserted in a buss or main. They both have mid/side referencing. This referencing allows you to hear and compress just the audio that is mixed more in the middle or mono and the side is what you hear when your not in mono or the audio mixed outside of the mono image. Your ProQ is famous for allowing you to eg just the mid or side channels of your mix. There isn't any particular must do when recording or mixing there are just guidlines and general settings to get you started. Compressors sold as buss compressors are using algorythms created by the developers to simulate famous world renound mixing board compressors that were good at acomplishing that task. If you choose to use whatever you want and see what develops from that than great. If it sounds good,go for it. The usual compressor these days that is being widely used on a master buss is a multiband compressor allowing you to split the compressor into seperate compressors each affecting its own frequency range. This really works well and I am currently a beta tester for such an amazing compressor and mastering tools app by a famous name you all know very well and coming very soon your way. So hang on tight cause your learning curve is about to take a giant leap forward. Cheers. That's it for today.
Off to lay some tracks for my iTunes Acoustic album.

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Thanks for a ton of info. Just a bit gun shy from other forms. I have seen bits and pieces of all you have said on the vids including the multiband bit. I think, from what u have said, that in theory I could use ( in Auria)the psp compressor, or fexpansion buscomp or EVEN the proC on the bus or master but u are suggesting the psp or something like fexpansion in that they are meant for that. So....should I not be compressing every individual channel track followed by some lighter bus and then light master? I kinda thought I was to compress to (1) even out anything with variability of output ( like vocals) and then (2) allow some increase in volume so that with each compression episode from channel to bus to master the volume would come up to an acceptable level and that the industry has apparently ( just what I've read and not judging in any way) gone over the top with loudness. As a newbie I would just be happy to be able to get some reasonable volume. If compressing all tracks, then subs, then master gets the volume, but, In the end I have to mix down each individual tracks and reload due to the CPU thing, I'm fine with that. But if u think I should only parallel compress on the Aux's, I'd like to know that. I know u r diplomatically saying no right or wrong but I'd rather go with what is most logical or whatever. When u said 'using a single channel compressor on all those drum tracks can lead to pumping' ( i understand pumping)did u mean using a channel compressor on each individual track ( in other words 5 compressors on either psp or inserts) or did u mean using a single 'channel strip- 'like'' compressor vs a bus type in the Aux? Sorry to ask as I think u meant the former ( again newbie stupidity combined with obsessive personality). I think with reverb I should prob stick with Aux for now but I kinda get the fancy stuff u r doing. I need to read and watch the full vids on reverb and delay or else would be askin way too much. Thx again.