IPad Air 2 Ram?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

supanorton
Expert

Re: IPad Air 2 Ram?

Post by supanorton » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:58 pm

Glad I bought the Air 2!

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:55 am

Rim wrote:I can't talk in detail about the iOS beta, but I will say that you're going to be very happy with the results we're seeing here!

Rim
oh.my.god. :o

Finally,my Air 2 can start to shine.Right in time for Auria Pro :)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:47 pm

I can confirm that this issue is finally solved by Apple in iOS 8.3, out today.

Rim

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:34 pm

Hello Rim,
I am new to Auria but loving it. I just recently moved from a MBP with Pro Tools 11 to an Ipad Air 2 with Auria. I love the simplicity and portablity with the similar feel to it. I only had two major questions. In this article you confirmed that the Ipad Air 2 comes with 2 gigs of RAM. I have the newest model MH182LL/A 64 Gigs. However, whenever I get to Auria and see the little meter in the top right of available ram left, it generally is around 600 Mb. Still, when I take every page down and it's only running Auria, it's at about 970 Mb. I looked up the specs of the Ipad Air 2's on Amazon and they all say that they come with 1 gig of RAM. I'm confused. XD Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MH182LL-Wi- ... ipad+air+2

Also, second question unrelated to this topic but I'll ask anyway while I have your attention. The crossfade option is different than that of Pro Tools and I don't get how yours works. In Pro Tools, if you have 2 tracks that overlap, you crossfade the beggining of where they are divided. However, in Auria, when you use the crossfade for two tracks, it overlaps the time from where the original track was covered by the other track. The point of a crossfade is to avoid the initial pop of a different track playing, correct? If the new point is the start of the crossfade, then by the time the crossfade has hit it's lowest volume, it's way past where you change tracks. Does that make sense? I can draw a diagrahm if it doesn't. Anyway, I appreciate having the developer on here answering questions. Keep up the good work!
Matt

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:44 pm

Sorry one last question,
I had just used Auria on my Ipad mini and it was crystal clear, but when I use it on my Ipad Air 2 it's pretty blury. Is it because I just did a backup of my mini and used the backup to restore my Air 2? Or is it going to be pixely on the Air 2? Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:13 pm

The Air 2 definitely has 2GB of RAM. But keep in mind that iOS takes a bunch of memory to run, so you're not left with 2GB of free RAM. It's normal to have about 1GB free when you launch Auria on a clean system.

To crossfade in Auria, you need to overlap two regions. The area that actually overlaps is the section that will be crossfaded. You can then adjust the crossfade by moving the handles to the left and right of the overlap.

Not sure why your Air 2 would be blurry. Maybe clean the screen? ;)

Rim

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:54 am

Ok, I can understand that. But why does Amazon, a trusted website state that it only has 1 gb ram?

And I understand how your crossfade works, but from my limited understanding your crossfade defeats the purpose of a crossfade. A crossfade is to have the point where the two tracks begin to overlap at the lowest volume. Not at the middle of where they overlap because the pop of the changing of tracks occurs at the begging point of where they switch tracks. Does that make sense?

And I looked up some reviews. Some people were complaining about the graphics not being in HD, that's what I was wondering if it was just me. Yet, if that's the worst thing to complain about in something that produces such great music on an ipad, I'm most certainly ok with that. It's not about how the program looks but how the music turns out when you mixdown. :)

Thanks for the quick response Rim, it's nice to know that I can ask questions to the programmer.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:25 am

A quick google search should tell you all you need to know about the amount of RAM in an Air 2.

Auria's crossfade works just like all DAWs, including Pro Tools. You overlap two regions, then you stretch the crossfade to where you want it to start fading and end fading. There's a good description of how this works in the Auria user's manual.

Auria has non-retina graphics to get around an old iPad bug on the iPad 2/3 and 4 models which caused clicking to occur when using it with a USB interface. Auria Pro uses retina graphics throughout.

Rim

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:35 am

I looked up the specs and I understand what you mean. Thanks
image.jpg
This is what I'm trying to say the differnce is. Am I just going crazy or do you understand? :D

And that's exciting! I've been trying to get the drift from the other forum but without going through 28 pages... has there been any updates on release date for Auria Pro? Thanks

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:46 am

The picture above is the two tracks in different colors and where the crossfade is placed in the overlap.

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:16 pm

Auria uses centered crossfades, where the splice point is always at the center of the two volume envelopes. The only difference is that Pro Tools offers two additional "placements", pre-splice and post-splice - your illustration shows a pre-splice crossfade. We wanted to keep Auria stream-lined here and went with the standard type just because it's the most frequent one used - centered is also the default crossfade in Pro Tools.

If you need a more custom crossfade like pre or post splice you can keep the two regions on separate tracks and draw the appropriate volume curve using Auria's automation editor.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

superhunter2
Expert

Post by superhunter2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Ahh, intersting. Shows how much I still have to learn. I just have always used pre-slice in Pro Tools and didn't realize that there was other ways. Thanks for the insight.