iPad Air.. The software has stopped the work (cpu 100%)

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

iFra

iPad Air.. The software has stopped the work (cpu 100%)

Post by iFra » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Hi...
I have a question ...
With the new version of Auria, has increased the workload for the CPU?

The software has stopped the work (cpu 100%) in this situation:

- 9 tracks (stereo/mp3 320kbs) in playback
- 2 mono tracks armed to record
- 4 bus (3 assigned to 1-2 out of the sound card, 1 assigned to out 3-4)
- Equalizer Pro-Q on one of the two mono tracks and channelstrip on the same track active
- The track with the active equalizer, is assigned to one of three bus with two plug-ins: Classic Verb Pro and Stereo Delay
- All other tracks without effects and with the channel strip in bypass mode

It is not a light project, but not heavy... I have used only 3 plugins (2 stereo and one mono ...). It seems strange that the cpu has gone in ovelroad for two time ...

My Auria's configuration:
- 64-Bit Mixer: No
- Aux Delay Compensation: No
- Record Lanecy: 128 (necessary!)
- Auria in playback mode, not in recrod mode

My iPad:
iPad Air - 32 Gb - Ios 7.0.2 (no wi-fi and no bluetouth in use)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

mtingle
Expert

Re: iPad Air.. The software has stopped the work (cpu 100%)

Post by mtingle » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:37 pm

sometimes the ipad has IAA open in the background with no opportunity to close them.

I run IAA's all the time and basically I have to remember which ones I've open recently and reopen and close them all again without Auria running, them go back and open Auria again and the CPU magically drops back to something sensible.

I run massive projects that are far more intensive than your project and the ipad air copes pretty well.

p.s. 128 latency wont work if your recording with that load, you'll need to either turn on the 'diable effects while recording' or increase it to 512 and put up with a little lag.

iFra

Post by iFra » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:06 pm

but what I need is to use effects in low-latency on a channel with record-armed while other tracks are played....

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:19 pm

iFra wrote:but what I need is to use effects in low-latency on a channel with record-armed while other tracks are played....
indeed. I come across this need on many occasions. It requires a feature request to Rim IMO.

iFra

Post by iFra » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Yes ... in fact.
I have always maintained Auria ... but I must say that the "software competitor" is working with far fewer resources than Auria ... and frankly I have a recently iPad (!!!)
I hope there is a problem in what I am doing in my project or that these things will improve in the next relaese ...

iFra

Post by iFra » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:49 pm

It would also be very nice (is a request at Rim) if you could insert a table with the resources consumed by each plugins of the sequencer on the various models of ipad. Although the informations are approximate, would be very useful in my opinion ...

instinctive
Expert

Post by instinctive » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:18 pm

I hate to say it, but any possible "software competitor" to Auria has far inferior plugins that are not remotely comparable in quality (and thus CPU-load) to Auria's.

iFra

Post by iFra » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:29 pm

It 's true! In fact, as I wrote, I support always this software, and I recommend at all Auria.
But we must also "encourage" the development team ... the quality must be "accompanied" with a capacity of utilization even in the live environment (something for which, 90% of users, purchase ipad with Auria, I think...).
You can think of various solutions, including creating versions for live use of the same plug-ins ... but at least with three loaded plug-ins, Auria must absolutely ensure normal use, at low-latency, also because in my configuration, the basic channel strip in all tracks active was in bypass mode .
I hope that Rim knows how to say something.....

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:18 pm

I agree, 128 is much too low of a latency when using some plugins. The best I can suggest is to experiment with various plugins to see how the performance goes. Making a table with all possible plugins, iPad models and latency settings is a good idea, but is simply not feasible. There are simply too many combinations of factors.

Rim