will Auria *work with iPhone 6 & 6 Plus for basic tracking?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pesciolino

will Auria *work with iPhone 6 & 6 Plus for basic tracking?

Post by pesciolino » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:37 am

Hi there,
Note I'm *not asking if the experience of Auria plus iPhone would be optimal (already know would not be) - I'm only asking if Auria will *work with either version of the latest iPhone, for tracking through an interface. Probably 6 tracks (max) at 24/96.

A further question could be, might the iPhone 6 Plus be usable for more complex actions, like mixing - but I think that question has already been posed...

Thanks!

(and thanks Rim for the forum)

Rim
Site Admin

Re: will Auria *work with iPhone 6 & 6 Plus for basic tracki

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:48 am

No, Auria is an iPad only application, and there's no easy way for me to even compile it to work on an iPhone, due to the different screen aspect ratio.

Rim

pesciolino

Post by pesciolino » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:55 am

Hi Rim, thanks for the reply :)
Another quick question while you're nearby... would 192khz sample rate be available at any point?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:00 pm

It's up to Apple, as Auria can support it. So far, Apple only provides support for 44.1, 48K and 96K (no 88.2 or 192K).

Rim

pesciolino

Post by pesciolino » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Great thanks for the answers!

pesciolino

Post by pesciolino » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Actually - is this limitation in effect even when an interace is used that's capable of 192? Would this not work like OSX, where the interface acts as the AD/DA, bypassing the hardware sound chip?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:17 pm

iOS decides which sample rates to support unfortunately...

Rim

pesciolino

Post by pesciolino » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Ah, I see. 96k is still good. Is there a track count for the A7 vs A8x?

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:34 am

Call me old fashioned but personally I'm happy Auria stays with iPad only. Chasing after functionality in small Phones just seem to defeat the purpose in my view
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

ssrjazz

Post by ssrjazz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:07 pm

Personally, I'm think it would be great on the iPhone 6 plus. Plenty of real estate on that Retina HD screen for it. Hope you reconsider it as a future feature request.

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:25 am

Another vote here for a limited version on iPhone 6+. It would be perfect for traveling. That said, I understand Rim's reply.

Briankuzma

Post by Briankuzma » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:53 pm

I too would love to see support for the 6+... Even if it only allowed for the basics.

Hulioeglacias

Post by Hulioeglacias » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:05 pm

I have the iPhone 6s Plus. The screen resolution is 1080x 1920. That is larger than the first iPads, so it would be possible to port it over. It also is the only iPhone that internally uses a higher resolution and constantly down samples a 2208x1242 "@3x" image to 1080x1920. So therefore it is capable of downsampling from one of the iPad resolutions in real time it is already doing it anyway and is fast enough to do so easily (see http://iosdesign.ivomynttinen.com/ )
There are several multitrack recording software for the iPhone not just iPad. We have GarageBand, Ntrack, and multitrack. We have InterApp audio and bias fx amps and jamup for guitar pedals. It is well-equipped for multi track recording and Live sound. I already use it for that. Currently Ntrack is the only one that supports multiple outputs and the reason I want auria to come over would be in the hope that it's full fledged support for inputs and outputs and a built in channel EQ plus some affects plus InterAp audio would make it equivalent in functionality to Ntrack. The problem with Ntrack is it is so buggy that it is impossible to actually use and they have no interest in developing it any further.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:58 pm

I had the idea to have an iphone player version of Auria that could play any Auria project and perhaps have the mixer window allowing you to tinker with the mix while on the go.

With todays relatively high wifi bandwidths you could store your songs in the cloud and be able to listen to any of your Auria project's from anywhere with your iphone.

An expansion of the Auria player idea would be to allow 3rd parties to share a project and save different mixes of the song with snapshots (remixes for post production, tv work, suggesting a mix to the band or mastering engineer etc, etc). If the player only version was free I can see this being very useful for spreading Auria deep into professional studio's around the world.

Hulioeglacias

Post by Hulioeglacias » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Yes this is the idea. I do all my preproduction on the iPhone so I can listen to what I do wherever I go and add new parts as they come up with me or my clients anywhere I'm at, that is the main purpose. So then we want as much functionality as we can on each device

Ntrack is already cross platform so I can share entire projects on PC Mac android and iPhone. It just happens to really suck that's all