Low Memory in Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

kirkatude

Low Memory in Auria

Post by kirkatude » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:36 pm

I restarted my Apple Mini, I have no apps open, I start a new project, and I have only 15MB of memory to work with (and 31% space).
How can I fix this?

Thanks.

kirkatude

Corey W
Expert

Re: Low Memory in Auria

Post by Corey W » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Kirkatude,
On your iPad if you navigate to- Settings> General> Usage> Manage Storage

From here you can see what apps are taking up the most space on your iPad and delete apps to free up space as necessary.

-Corey

kirkatude

Post by kirkatude » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks, but it's the memory I need more of.
I have 18GB of free space.
I get a Low Memory Warning.
How do I reduce the number of plug-ins when I'm not using any of them?
As in a just-opened new project, that has 8MB of memory.
I have no background apps running, and I restarted.

Thanks for your quick response.

kirkatude

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:29 am

It might be useful if you give more detail of your setup, i.e. iOS version, iPad mini (original) or iPad mini 2 or 3? The original mini has only 512MB RAM, whereas the newer ones have 1GB RAM.

Most importantly though, are you absolutely sure that Auria is the only app running on your iPad when you get the memory error (you've not got something like Safari in the background too)?

If you create a new project in Auria, it doesn't matter how many Auria plug-ins you have purchased - they only use resources (memory) when they're explicitly loaded into an FX slot. A brand new project will not have any Auria plug-ins loaded. However, it's possible for separate IAA apps (used as FX plug-ins) to remain in memory, even though you've 'unloaded' them from an Auria project. That is allegedly one of the idiosyncrasies with iOS and IAA apps.

My recommendation to you is to carry out the following steps in order to check how much Memory/RAM your iPad should have when you start Auria with an empty project:
  • Create a new project in Auria ('Menu -> New Project). This makes sure that Auria will open next time with this empty project.

Double-press on your Pad's Home button to display all apps in memory)

Swipe-up on every app to kill them (then return to the desktop)

Reboot your iPad (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until red slider appears, etc.). https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201559

When your iPad restarts, do nothing else except load Auria and make a note of the free memory. Use that number as your benchmark.
Report back :D

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:06 am

On my ipad air 1, 64gb. I have had this happen numerous times:

I have a song with 9 tracks. a couple plug-ins on each track. Like pro-q. Classicverb. I needed to freeze all the tracks, except one of the lead synth tracks, still trying to figure out what fx sound good on it.

Before I did that, every time I opened Auria, it would either crash, which was rare, or, come up with the message about, shoot can't remember exactly. It was a long message in a pop up window, I don't even think about memory. Something about project with different sample rate.

So, then Auria loads a new project called project 1, and ever time I try to load my 9 track song, it adds another new project. I am able to load projects with less tracks. Perfectly.

I have no idea why this works, but I have found if I do this: Make sure that my 9 track song is closed, and load up one of the less track songs, then close out Auria. Then the next time I use Auria, it opens great, with the less track song. then I close that song, and bring up the 9 track song.

I don't quite get it, but that's what I figured out that works for me. I am usually not connected to wi-fi much, never leave apps open in the background, so I don't think that is my issue.

Anyway, that's all jsut an FYI.

kirkatude

Post by kirkatude » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:46 am

auria open.PNG
Thanks for your help in trying to resolve this.
I have the iPad mini original, with iOS 8.4
I have nothing running in the background, no IAA apps.
In fact, I removed the ones that automatically loaded into my channel strip (SampleTank,Harmony Voice,etc.).
Followed your instructions as to restarting,etc.
And still got only 10MB on a new project (see attachment).
And the low memory warning before I even did anything.
Can you think of anything else I could try, as I really like the app alot!

Thanks again.

kirkatude

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Switch of the Background App Refresh in General Settings.
Use Airplane mode if possible. (.. of some background process)

My advice to use free ios (iphone) app -Battery doctor-:
Open first Auria and than Battery Doctor.
Tap on Memory Boost. Generally frees up about 100Mb..
You can see some more memory in Auria... At last swipe out Battery doctor.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery ... 87910?mt=8
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:01 pm

Will battery doctor remove things like presets, and other things one might want to keep? I've heard of memory saving/clearing/finding apps doing these things.

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:11 pm

I did not notice already.. I think the running app is in protected sandbox..
If so start Auria after Battery Doctor memory boost immediately.
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:07 pm

Well perhaps someone else (@Rim or @Corey W perhaps) has a 512MB iPad (2 or Mini) with iOS v8.4 and can confirm how much free memory Auria should have.

kirkatude

Post by kirkatude » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:38 am

It seems as though Auratech's advice about using Battery Doctor (in my case it's iDoctor Device), before using Auria, does the trick. I go from 10 or 20MB to 100 or 130MB right away. When I start to run low, I quit Auria, use iDoctor Device again, and I'm good for more time. The memory does run down slowly by itself anyway, but it gives me time to use the app. I do want to say that it is my iPad Mini's System that is draining the memory away, but even with the iPad on airplane mode, nothing else running, and with Background App refresh off, ect., it will still suck memory away from Auria, no matter what. Still, I now have a method to, bit by bit, work in Auria. If you all find out anything else about this issue, please post it here and let me know.

Much thanks, once again!

kirkatude

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:41 am

I got an Air 2 in February, and I don't see memory issues anymore for my particular workflow. When I had my iPad 2 (512 RAM), I often ran into memory problems. One thing that seemed to help was working within the edit screen. Often, just switching from mixer screen to edit screen (opening a few channel strip windows), then switching back to mixer screen would free up a lot of memory. It didn't always work, but memory problems were usually better recording in the edit screen. Not sure if that works with latest iOS. Good luck.

Just remembered that I often did a lot of my app/AudioBus tracking in MultiTrack DAW, pasting into Auria later, which worked very well.