Cannot "convince" Auria Pro to control Drum Perfect!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Cannot "convince" Auria Pro to control Drum Perfect!

Post by theconnactic » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi! The title pretty much summarizes it.

Inside Auria Pro, in the MIDI channel, I have a previosly recorded MIDI data, and in the MIDI chanel strip I set All in "Channel", All in "Input" and "Drum Perfect" in "Output". Inside Drum Perfect, I set "Auria" as "Midi Source" and "Drum Perfect" as "Midi Destination", and "Background Audio" is set to "On". Yet, when I play back the MIDI data, Auria Pro fails to triger Drum Perfect. It's not a wrong mapping issue, because I tried opening the piano roll and pressing all of the notes, none of them being able to trigger the sounds of Drum perfect.

Am I missing something, or this is a known bug of Auria Pro or Drum Perfect? Any hel will be much appreciated.

All the best!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Cannot "convince" Auria Pro to control Drum Perfect!

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:52 pm

We don't have Drum Perfect here to test, but lots of other apps work here with no issues when sending MIDI from Auria to the app. I would suggest inserting it as an IAA in Auria. This way, the MIDI data is directly routed to it. It makes things simpler. When you do that, there's no need to set any ports.

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi, Rim: thank you very much for answering promptly. Much appreciated.

When I used Auria 1.x with Drum Perfect, I used to open it as an IAA multichannel, send clock to it so it syncs to Auria's BPM, and built drum patterns inside Drum Perfect, recording them to the IAA channels. This I still can do with Auria Pro. What I cannot do is to open it as an instrument in the MIDI channel, like I can do with Sample Tank, DrumJam etc.

So I was trying to do is 1) open some IAA channels for Drum Perfect like before, 2) record a MIDI channel with Lyra's built-in drums, and then 3) disable Lyra and use Auria Pro's MIDI ports to make the recorded midi data to control Drum Perfect, and record its audio outputs in the IAA channels. That's the method that I have been successfully using with Cubasis.

Is there anything wrong with the above described three steps? Otherwise, why don't they work as expected? Because, as I said in the beginning of the post, the old ways of building the drum patterns inside Drum Perfect still work, but it would be quite disappointing having to resort to this tedious pattern-based workflow when Auria Pro offers a far better, piano-roll based solution (by the way, pattern-based sequencers should not exist after all those years: why copying legacy drum machines that no one uses anymore?/rant).

Still hoping for a solution. Othewise, Drum Perfect will be of no use for me and II'll have to delete it, which would be a pitty, since it is the better sounding drum app on iOS and wasn't cheap when I bought it.

All the best!

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:32 pm

I happen to like pattern based sequencing but not step input sequencing. It is so easy to generate sections of songs as a pattern and chain them together to form complete songs. What I like even better is the ability to trigger multi channel midi sequences similar to triggering samples but with the flexibility of editing the midi in the patterns if needed. I know...not what your post was about but could resist commenting on pattern sequences. There would be some value in having this capability particularly, for those of us that like the Roland and Korg RPPR and RPS sequencers. Sorry for hijacking your post.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:57 pm

Sounds like that should work. But if you're able to do it by inserting DrumPrefect into an audio track as an IAA, just route the MIDI to it from your MIDI track. In the MIDI output dropdown box on your MIDI track, you should see DrumPerfect show up as a destination, even if it's on an audio track.

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:58 pm

No worries, Radside.

Rim, thank you again. Did exactly as you instructed. No dice though. Here are some screenshots:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:23 pm

just tested this and it works fine. Make sure that your track midi out is set to drum perfect core midi out not plugin below. Also no need to set anything up in the midi of drum perfect just set everything off. I notice that your drum perfect says Auria and not Auria Pro. mine says Auria Pro but this shouldn't make an issue. So all I did was record some notes on the drum pads in Lyra and then set Lyra to off for the instrument and then set its midi out to core midi drum perfect. Drum perfect was inserted into the FX of a track as an IAA plugin. Cheers.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Anthony, thank you for the help.

Fact is, I just opened a new project and follow exactly your steps. No dice again. Hm. I am starting to think about the difference you pointed out: as I upgraded rather than purchased from the App Store, my iPad still sees Auria Pro as Auria. I have a gut feeling that maybe, just maybe, this is the source of the issues I'm experiencing, unless I am skipping something really obvious.

Does anyone that upgraded from Auria rather than purchased from the App Store have Drum Perfect as well, for us to test? Perhaps it's a bug instead of operator error, despite the latter being the more probable cause, hehehe.

All the best!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:14 pm

As the one who wrote the app, I can assure you there is no difference at all in functionality between Auria Pro and an upgraded Auria or LE. They all use exactly the same source code.

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 pm

I know, but I wonder if it's some iOS or even Drum Perfect issue...? Well, probably not: I'm skipping some obvious step here, but for now, I'm going to let Drum Perfect aside. Perhaps, I should give a chance to Lyra's own drums: with some work with MIDI controls, they might as well suit my needs.

Are these drums multilayered, Rim? Or the velocity data just tells the sample player how loud a given hit should be played back? I know Drum Perfect uses only two velocity layers, but it combines these two nicely for different velocities, instead of simply alternating between them at a given cutoff point.

All the best!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:40 pm

The drums in Lyra are richly multilayered. They come from our GOG libraries and have several random and dynamic samples per drum. Probably some of the best drums available on iOS.

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:01 pm

Good to know, Rim! Thanks for the answers.

Marinus

Post by Marinus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:14 pm

@theconnactic: if you followed the post of Anthony and it still doesn't work, it could be a rare issue with DrumPerfect's startup state, which can be resolved as follows:
1. Make sure all patterns and song have been named/saved
2. Remove file "startup.dat" and the "/state" folder via iTunes app file sharing
3. Restart DrumPerfect and try again

Marinus

Marinus@drumperfect.nl

MusicInclusive
Expert

Post by MusicInclusive » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Aha! Looks like it works OK if you set the output channel specifically to 10. Would expect All to work as well. Interesting that it doesn't.

MusicInclusive
Expert

Post by MusicInclusive » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:51 pm

OK! Here's a video demo I did that shows Auria Pro driving DrumPerfect :D

https://youtu.be/hizcwXxfeE0