What external storage device are YOU using?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

audiohub

What external storage device are YOU using?

Post by audiohub » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm really looking forward to having other options to Dropbox to manage my Auria projects.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have tried, and what their experiences have been in regards to speed and reliability of their backups.
I've been looking at the Kingston wireless solution which allows you to use SD and USB stick storage, as well as an external USB drive. Seems interesting, but the wireless part may be problematic?

Reviews on Amazon for these types of devices are, as always, mixed (works great, don't waste your money, etc) so I'm hoping to hear from people who are trying to accomplish the same thing.

DavePDX
Expert

Re: What external storage device are YOU using?

Post by DavePDX » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:26 pm

I've been using a SansDisk iXpand, with good success. One word of caution, however: if you import a project and there's an existing project with the same name, it will be overwritten without warning.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

iPad Pro supports USB 3 speeds

Post by stromberg-carlson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:29 pm

FYI,

The iPad pro supports usb3 speeds and Apple have just released a lightning to USB adapter to work with this.

Edits for clarity
Last edited by stromberg-carlson on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:54 pm

@Stromberg-Carlson, I believe they only released the SD card adapter with USB 3.0 speeds. The article I read stated that the lightning USB 3.0 camera connection had not be released.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Post by stromberg-carlson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:20 pm

I see what you mean. I edited the prior post to better reflect what my meaning is.

I ordered it a couple days ago. Lightning to SD card adapter. Yes it's not in stores at the moment but Apple shipping sites I should get It next Wednesday.

My post is just an informational "heads up" to people who may not know on this forum.

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Hey no problem. I am looking forward to buying the same adapters.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Post by stromberg-carlson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:20 pm

Just received an alert that it shipped. I should have it Friday (chose free shipping)

audiohub

Post by audiohub » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:54 pm

Sounds interesting.
Would this work with a non-Pro IPad? (IPad Air here)

How much?

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Post by stromberg-carlson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:18 pm

the adapter will for sure work with other models, but as of right now you can only get usb 3 speeds on the ipad pro.

its the typical 29 dollars US. i get a small discount so it was 26 dollars for me.

arco
Expert

Post by arco » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:44 am

I have been using Strontium i-Drive. There was a problem with crashing, but seems to be working well with v2.01.
Ref:
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 526#p44526

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:31 am

I use an app called FileBrowser by Stratospherix.com (GoodReader works similarly - but I don't get along with its UI) to connect to a NAS on my home network and to various cloud services, FTP and WebDAV servers, etc.

I have an inexpensive USB disk attached to my NAS on which I store samples, synth patches, Auria project backups/archives, etc. Basically any data that I don't need right now on my iPad, but which I might wish to call upon, gets moved to that disk.

I also have a personal wifi cloud device - a little HyperDrive iUSBPort2 by Sanho Electronics Technology. If I need to work away from home and still have access to my offline data, I simply unplug the USB disk from my NAS and plug it into to the iUSBport2. The iUSBPort2 has its own app to aid initial configuration and to access its contents but, for the latter, I use FileBrowser instead.

Because the iUSBPort2 can act as a server for a variety of protocols (HTTP/FTP/WebDAV/DLNA/uPnP/PTP/SMB/Samba), it effectively serves up my USB disk in exactly the same manner as my home NAS. I can also plug USB thumbdrives and a microSDXC into it as well.

I can't praise this combination enough but, as I said earlier, there are alternatives to FileBrowser, such as GoodReader, and there are alternatives to the iUSBPort2 too.

arco
Expert

Post by arco » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:08 pm

I also use SanDisk iXpand, it saves directly to the disk and import using Open in directly back into Auria Pro.
Very easy.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

One of the reasons why I invested in the IPP

Post by stromberg-carlson » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:48 pm

The beauty of the IFruit PRO is the onboard storage PLUS large screen real estate.

With all these music apps and other nonsense I have installed , I still have 102GB of on board storage left.

Washboy
Expert

Re: One of the reasons why I invested in the IPP

Post by Washboy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:03 pm

stromberg-carlson wrote:The beauty of the IFruit PRO is the onboard storage PLUS large screen real estate.

With all these music apps and other nonsense I have installed , I still have 102GB of on board storage left.
Can't find that product. Link please :)

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:55 pm

Pretty sure he was joking - iFruit is the brand from Grand Theft Auto. He was referring to the iPad Pro.

Don't worry - I made the same mistake when I first read his post :D