Fab filter user interfaces

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

M Johnston

Fab filter user interfaces

Post by M Johnston » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi the fabfilter interfaces are to small and hard to control , such deluxe plugins , but so hard to program because of bad user interface direct port of interface from Pc Mac doesn't work good for me . Just got iPad pro ,little better, maybe when I get pencil it will be easier to select little pan and volume controls . Using my finger I try to set volume at 0 and when I lift my finger up the value jumps to some higher or lower value then I was trying to set.
Mark

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Fab filter user interfaces

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:32 pm

Please let them know. You can email them on their web site : www.fabfilter.com

Rim

M Johnston

Post by M Johnston » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:52 am

Hi with a little more practice I found if I put my finger a little outside of pan wheel I can get without hitting volume nob
Mark

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:59 am

Double tap on Gain/Q/Out - to snap the value to zero.
The values rises with vertically movements.
Drag diagonal lines with variable steepness fine tune the values.
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

CEIsar
Expert

Re: Fab filter user interface

Post by CEIsar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:48 am

Mostly it works very good to me but i agree,the pan"rings"are a bit of a pain.And with twin2 there is one thing that just don't work as a straight port anymore:you can't edit the modulations while using the internal keyboard.

Tip for finetuning knobs:Use one finger and tap and hold somewhere on the plugin,then use another one to change the value of a knob.You can now fine adjust the value.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:32 am

I agree being able to enter a 'fine tune mode' for any control in Auria (not just Fabfilters) would be very useful.

As suggested, enabling such a mode with a two finger tap method like when time stretching a clip, or by simply long-pressing the control, would go a long way in addressing the only thing I find truly irritating about the touch interface. (I've grown to prefer it in almost every way to my desktop/mouse for mixing).

Reid

Post by Reid » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:49 am

First, and excuse me if this is obvious, but are all of you using the "Wide" mode? There are little arrows in the bottom right corner that bring out a menu that lets you select normal or wide.

I think these problems could be mitigated if the fabfilter people gave some thought on how they could fully port the computer functionality to the app version. For example, if you double tap any knob in the computer version you can type in the value. Why couldn't a double tap bring out a keypad? There are also functions that are enabled by the Control, Shift and Alt buttons. I suppose they could find a way to give us decent sized Control, Shift and Alt buttons, but it would be even better if they did things in a more intuitive way. For example, you can adjust all oscillator levels or pan knobs at the same time in the oscillators by holding down the Alt key--in the app they could just give us a chainlink connection button.

Another thing they could do would be to have a third panel that would have buttons and a keypad. This could drop down under the Keyboard or Modulation Panel. Or (and I have no idea if this makes sense) there could be a choice between this panel and the modulation panel. But this third panel might only add unnecessary complexity.

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:40 am

I've noticed on Pro-q2 and Pro-C2, that the little arrow in the corner allows one to have the window size small medium and large, there is an extra large but it is grayed out. Prob. for the ipad pro users I assume?

The first versions of these and the other Fabfilters I don't think have this option on the ipad, but it is quite a welcome addition to these.

And, even though I don't know what the hell I'm doing with the midi synths, I am having fun adding midi notes, and manipulating them. Good stuff this Auria Pro is. :)

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:22 am

Lol, tourniquet. I know the feeling. I read the new manual yesterday, and I don't know where to start, really. So much great stuff. I went over all the audio warping yesterday, because I'll definitely be using that.

With the Fabfilter synths, I paid for the extra presets, because that's how I most often roll, and there are a lot of them, and they're very good. At some point, I'd love to learn more about the synths, and the all the plugins. But I'm still working on midi basics, and really, general recording basics.

M Johnston

Post by M Johnston » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi guys so it is clear by your comments this is an area that could use some improvement .So I would assume the developers realize the same , and hopefully they may improve things.Some of the suggestions here are already used in other plugins and are good ideas.I guess as Rim said I should let fab filter support know ,but my feeling is they probably should understand this already. Yes I am in wide mode and with a little practice and the larger ipadpro screen it's probably useable but could be improved.
Mark

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:54 pm

The wide mode doesn't change anything about the size of the knobs/fader/buttons.You can just see more of them at once.But"large"and full screen modes of Q2 and C2 are great enhancements over the old ones.Although they didn't change the knob size but i have absolutely no problem to grab/change the pan ring on C2 now.They definitely improved it here.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:11 pm

It's probably best if these suggestions are posted on FabFilter's own forum, as I'm not sure FabFilter reads these threads. We just add their plugins to Auria, and have no control from this end...

Rim

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:46 pm

@rickwaugh, kudo's on making it through the new manual. I've gotten through several pages, but still need to keep pushing through. Sooo much good stuff in it.

ON a side note, somewhat related to Fab filter. I am still a bit in shock at getting pro-q2 and pro-c2 both for $30.00 with the upgrade price, and the sale going on now. I feel like that is the deal of a century. Almost criminal.

Like, this is me right now------> :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

As my 5 year old little girl says. For real life daddy? You betcha, $30.00 for both!