Buffer size problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

R&M

Buffer size problem

Post by R&M » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:27 am

I have Auria set to a 256 buffer size and Sunrizer set the same when opened by itself, however when inserting Sunrizer in a midi track as an inst or an audio track as an fx insert it automatically reverts to 128 and cannot be changed and crackles and pops like crazy. By itself at 256 or higher it's clear. iPad Air 2, iOS 9.2.1. Also using 24bit at 48hz. Is it a problem with iOS 9.2.1 or with Auria Pro or in Sunrizer or am I missing something?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Buffer size problem

Post by Rim » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:04 am

The way the iOS audio system works is the first audio app that launches gets to determine the buffer size. After that, any other app that launches can't typically change the buffer size. That's why Auria has the actual buffer size in parentheses next to where you change it. So the best approach is to close all your apps by double-tapping on the home button, then open Auria, set the buffer size to 256, then launch your other apps.

Rim

R&M

Post by R&M » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. I tried what you suggested but still a no go. I then tried a different approach opening new projects with different sample rates and inserting Sunrizer synth in each. I found that when using 44100, Sunrizer loaded at 512 and at 48000 loaded at 128 and at 96000 loaded at 256. Reguardless of the settings when opened by itself, it reverted to the afformentioned settings and could not be changed. I am assuming it must be an issue within Sunrizer even though I have not checked this with other apps.

R&M

Post by R&M » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:16 pm

Tried it again at 96000 and Sunrizer went to 1024 this time and 512 at 48000. I am beginning to think it may be iOS 9.2.1 problems. Also when sending a track to a subgroup, sometimes you see the fader meters and sometimes not even after resetting the outputs in the matrix. Very buggy.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi R&M just out of curiosity I tried SUNRIZER on my IPad 4 with iOS 9.2 installed and on my iPad Pro with iOS 9.1 installed. Both devices seemed to work OK and I could change the buffer size on SUNRIZER and the IPad without any difficulty. I initially opened Sunrizer and set the Latency figure to 128 then opened AURIA and set that to 128 then inserted Sunrizer into the IAA slot and everything ran smoothly without any clicks. This was the same for both IPAD 4 and IPAD PRO. I also tried the process with and without my USB interface connected. As far as I can see the only difference is that I used AURIA default audio settings of 24bit 44.1 kHz.

R&M

Post by R&M » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:01 am

I think i have figured out my problem. Its my interface. I recently acquired an interconnect audio 4+ and am finding out from their website forum that the device has some major issues with iOS 9. Pretty much of what I have been dealing with. The interface has a lot of potential but the software that controls the settings is very,very buggy. Until they fix it I am going back to my scarlet6i6. I got the ICA4+ for its USB host and iPad connectivity but way too many issues with it still.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:19 am

Same here. iOS 9.2 trashed my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 so I had to revert back to 9.1 on my IPad Pro. Waiting for Focusrite to resolve the issue. Take care

Trevor

levispeights
Expert

Post by levispeights » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:12 pm

Morgan wrote:Same here. iOS 9.2 trashed my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 so I had to revert back to 9.1 on my IPad Pro. Waiting for Focusrite to resolve the issue. Take care

Trevor
Hey Morgan,
What exactly did 9.2 do to you Scarlett 18i8? I have a 18i8 but I haven't used it with my iPad since updating to iOS 9.2.
Levi

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi Levi,

iOS 9.2 update caused severe latency and instability issues that could not be resolved by any settings on the Scarlett 18i8 or AURIA PRO. I contacted Focusrite who are pursuing the issue with APPLE but to date there has been no reports of a fix. I had to revert back to 9.1 which runs without fault. I hear hints that 9.3 might resolve the problem but until it's released we won't know. I have a spare IPAD on iOS 9.2 which I keep current in order to check if any update resolves the problem without having to update my IPAD PRO. Trev

Metallion
Expert

Post by Metallion » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:34 pm

I installed the 9.3 beta 3, thinking they may have solved this problem. Not yet.
I can't use Cubasis or Auria Pro without huge latency monitoring audio channels.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:49 am

Because of the despicable and inconsiderate lack of response from APPLE on this issue I am seriously considering whether the IPAD PRO can remain as a stable recording platform for musicians. The bulk of multi input audio interfaces are USB and connect to the IPAD via the camera connection kit. If APPLE continue to force through iOS updates without any consideration to the consequences to thousands of users using USB devices then Musicians will walk away from this platform. AURIA is the only reason I own an APPLE device and now nearly three months on from the last iOS 9.2 update which trashed my Focusrite 18i8 they have still not resolved the problem. Back on 9.1 everything is now running smoothly but will I have to stay on 9.1 for ever more. Who knows?

RIM if you are reading this thread then it is about time the industry developers like yourselves and all the hardware manufacturers take APPLE to task on this particular issue before musicians walk away from the IPAD platform. As users we have no complaint route as APPLE conveniently shut all the doors of communication or make it extremely difficult to make a complaint. Short of flying out to APPLE and punching TIM COOK on the nose there seems little we can do to jog their conscience. Can anyone suggest how we can do a mass representation to APPLE? Trevor
Last edited by Morgan on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metallion
Expert

Post by Metallion » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:10 am

I have the same problem.. Just a question.. For what i know, i cant revert to 9.1. How could you?

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:10 am

Metallion, hi there. I used the following website to revert back to iOS 9.1. Apple don't have the decency to allow a simple set-back to earlier versions of their software leaving it to a number of websites to do their job for them. The link is :-

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/12/08 ... m-ios-9-2/.

There are other sites that offer the guidelines on how to install the earlier version but all depends on the version still being signed off by APPLE. The above website points you to where the earlier versions are and also gives you detailed instructions how to do it. You just have to be careful on the options as one route will leave existing Apps and data in place and the other a clean install. You can back up of course before going about the process. If APPLE have any conscience the earlier version 9.1 should still be signed off for use. Good luck. Trevor

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:57 am

Metallion wrote:I have the same problem.. Just a question.. For what i know, i cant revert to 9.1. How could you?
You can't now, because Apple has closed digital sign, so it's impossibile downgrade iOS to 9.1
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com

acaonweb
Expert

Post by acaonweb » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:04 am

Morgan wrote:Because of the despicable and inconsiderate lack of response from APPLE on this issue I am seriously considering whether the IPAD PRO can remain as a stable recording platform for musicians. The bulk of multi input audio interfaces are USB and connect to the IPAD via the camera connection kit. If APPLE continue to force through iOS updates without any consideration to the consequences to thousands of users using USB devices then Musicians will walk away from this platform. AURIA is the only reason I own an APPLE device and now nearly three months on from the last iOS 9.2 update which trashed my Focusrite 18i8 they have still not resolved the problem. Back on 9.1 everything is now running smoothly but will I have to stay on 9.1 for ever more. Who knows?

RIM if you are reading this thread then it is about time the industry developers like yourselves and all the hardware manufacturers take APPLE to task on this particular issue before musicians walk away from the IPAD platform. As users we have no complaint route as APPLE conveniently shut all the doors of communication or make it extremely difficult to make a complaint. Short of flying out to APPLE and punching TIM COOK on the nose there seems little we can do to jog their conscience. Can anyone suggest how we can do a mass representation to APPLE? Trevor
I Agree. Only MFI interfaces aren't affected, but that kind of interfaces aren't so diffuse. So this is a big issue!!!

Please shout that to Apple... it's the only way!!!!
iPad Air Pro 11 iOS 16.3 WiFi 512 Giga, Scarlett Focusrite 18i8
http://mustek.bandcamp.com