iOS 9.3 improvements ?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Neil
Expert

Re: iOS 9.3 improvements ?

Post by Neil » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:59 am

Rim wrote:What's your buffer size set to in Auria? The number in parentheses tells you the actual buffer size in use currently.

RIm
(4096). I don't recall having changed from the default when I reinstalled the other day.

I also tried running Auria Pro on my wife's iPad which an Air 2. Same delay.

Update: just tried it with 1024 and that seems to fix it.

Rudo
Expert

Post by Rudo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:29 pm

I have Cubasis (Steinberg) as well, and I'm not noticing any latency with it, but I'm also not noticing any with Auria pro.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm

With any iOS app, it's important to keep your latency as low as you can if you're doing any live audio monitoring while recording. In iOS, the first app to be launched gets to set the buffer size, so if you want to change it, you'll probably need to force all your other apps closed first, then set the buffer size in Auria to 512 or 256, then open any other apps you need. This way, the latency remains at what you set. This is why there's a buffer size shown in parentheses. This lets you know what the actual buffer size is (which could be different than what you're asking for if other apps are present).

On the other hand, the larger the buffer size, the less CPU an app will take. So if minimizing CPU is a priority, and low latency isn't important (for example when you're in playback/mixing), I recommend setting your buffer size to something like 4096. This will reduce CPU usage quite a bit.

Another thing to keep in mind is that iOS won't allow buffer sizes larger than 512 if you're using MIDI. So 4096 will only work if you're got an audio-only project.

Rim

beas

Post by beas » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:46 am

Anyone else having trouble with 9.3.5 and an itrack dock.

Neil
Expert

Post by Neil » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:18 am

beas wrote:Anyone else having trouble with 9.3.5 and an itrack dock.
I have an iTrack Dock which is working fine with 9.3.5 now I understand the buffer settings discussed above. What kind of problems are you getting?