Midi Quantize

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Trentsongs
Expert

Midi Quantize

Post by Trentsongs » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:04 pm

I can't seem to get midi quantize to work properly. I've created a project with 8 midi tracks. Using drums from Lyra and it's onscreen drum pads, I tapped in several different fairly simple 4 bar beats (kick, snr and HHt only) at 110bpm with quantize grid set at 1/16 note. Playback timing is slightly off, as when no quantize is set for most sequencers/drum machines. So, I go to the Process menu and select quantize and OK, but there's no change. Even changing to 1/32 note or any other resolution does not affect a change. However, if I go into midi edit mode and select all note and process quantize, the note timing resolves but the volumes of the notes randomly change.

I've tried this with different tracks and different projects with the same results. I'm very experienced with sequencers and drum machines. I have no problems programming similar rhythms in any of several other iOS drum machines.

Surely I'm doing something wrong here?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Midi Quantize

Post by Rim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:16 am

In order for quantize to work in the process menu, you need to select some notes first. The easiest way to do this is to press the Select All button. Then use the quantize process menu item.

A quicker way to apply quantize actually is to use the real time controls. This might be more what you're after. To use this, just press the Fx button to open the channelstrip window. On the MIDI control tab, you'll find all your real time MIDI controls. These let you affect the MIDI data in real time, without having to process or select anything ahead of time.

Rim

Trentsongs
Expert

Re: Midi Quantize

Post by Trentsongs » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks. Much simpler this way.