Auria running very slow on iPad Air 2

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dvlmusic
Expert

Auria running very slow on iPad Air 2

Post by dvlmusic » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Auria's been lagging on me badly for awhile now. I'm running Auria Pro on an iPad Air 2 and the lag is killing me. Anytime I tap on something I have to wait a couple seconds to see if it worked. Any command takes time to complete. I tap on things in the piano roll and don't know if it worked... the list goes on and on.

The album I'm working is all synth and drum machine based, so I'm trying to sequence everything. When I first imported my midi tracks I was running 10 or so instances or Lyra so when things lagged I chalked it up to over taxing my resources. But in the last day or so I've begun bouncing things down to audio files and it's still lagging.

For instance - right now the track I'm working on has the following:
21 MIDI tracks (one instance of Lyra and one track triggering iSEM - no other tracks are mapped to instruments)
3 audio tracks
1 effect (PSP StereoChorus)
iOS 9.3.1
Auria Pro version 2.04

Even when I unload the chorus, Lyra and hard quit iSEM I'm still getting a lag, although admittedly the more I run the worse it gets. My max CPU says 11% and CPU is floating around 7-8% with no other apps running and after I quit Auria and reloaded it (and unloaded all the FX and Lyra). Double-tapping to highlight doesn't work. Double-tapping STOP to return to zero doesn't work. Zooming and scrolling works when it feels like it.

What am I doing wrong? Overall I really love Auria but the lag is making it incredibly frustrating to work. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Auria?

Rim - any suggestions you have would be super helpful.

Thanks!

mtingle
Expert

Re: Auria running very slow on iPad Air 2

Post by mtingle » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:51 am

I wonder if you have an IAA 'stuck' in the background.

The only way to tell is to open every IAA you have and close them then open auria.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:41 am

mtingle wrote:I wonder if you have an IAA 'stuck' in the background.

The only way to tell is to open every IAA you have and close them then open auria.
Or, just prior to running an Auria session, force close all open apps and then:
  • 1) Hold the iPad's power button until the 'Slide to power off' screen appears then

2) Release the power button and press and hold the Home button until normal screen reappears.
That will have flushed all ghost IAA apps from memory.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:27 am

Washboy wrote:
mtingle wrote:I wonder if you have an IAA 'stuck' in the background.

Or, just prior to running an Auria session, force close all open apps and then:
  • 1) Hold the iPad's power button until the 'Slide to power off' screen appears then

2) Release the power button and press and hold the Home button until normal screen reappears.
That will have flushed all ghost IAA apps from memory.
Wasn't sure if that method closed all hidden IAA's but if your sure then this is much faster.

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks for the suggestions - I haven't rebooted in a bit so I'll try that.

Any other suggestions? An Air 2 is a new enough iPad that I would think it would run it pretty well. Is it because I have only about 1GB of free space out of my 16GB? Not ideal, but it's what I could afford....

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:07 pm

Actually it sounds to me like that particular project is using a lot of graphics resources that makes it lag like you describe. Does it only happen in the piano roll, or on other screens, too? For example what about the mixer screen? Are there a lot of notes to display on the screen? Something like that might be making the iPad struggle every time it needs to refresh the screen.

Rim

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:51 pm

That might be it - it seems like the more midi tracks I add, regardless of whether I have them triggering a plugin or not, the less responsive things are. I'm a fan of keeping the midi track even after I've bounced it to audio, so things get cluttered in a hurry.

It's the worst on the piano roll and the track page, but I still get lag on the mixer page as well. Mostly with scrolling...

Is there a setting to dial back the resolution or something? I haven't had a chance to fire it up and take a look myself yet.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Yes, there is. If you go to Auria's settings, you can disable retina mode. This should make the graphics run 150-200% faster (in most cases).

Rim