Panning

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

JMK

Panning

Post by JMK » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:32 pm

I just purchased Auria Pro and am using it with the Focusrite iPad Dock. I successfully recorded two stereo tracks (i.e., two tracks for melody and two tracks for harmony). However, when I turn the pan knobs (e.g.) full left for the first two tracks and hard right for the other two it makes no difference in the sound placement. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Panning

Post by Rim » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:43 am

Are you by chance using stereo tracks? If you are, try adding mono tracks instead, as the pan knob on stereo tracks is really a balance control, not a true pan control.

Rim

JMK

Post by JMK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks, Rim. I was using a matched pair of microphones, one in input one and the other in input two, so I thought I had essentially two mono tracks and thus could control the pan in each channel. Do I need to push the Mono button in the Expander section of each channel's fx section?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:14 pm

@JMK : If you're using the mic pair as a true stereo pair then what you've done is correct and it shouldn't need panning. However, if you're using the two mics as independent mono sources then you should create two mono tracks in Auria - not one stereo track.

Having created the mono tracks, you then go to 'Menu -> Input Matrix' and configure it so that one mono track is getting Input #1 and the other mono track is getting Input #2. You will then be able to pan each mic independently within the Master stereo field.

With a stereo track, the pan knob merely adjusts the relative volume of the left and right channels. Pan towards left increases the volume of the left signal and decreases the volume of the right signal. Pan towards the right does the exact opposite. Pan centre gives equal volume to left and right channels.

If you need to 'convert' your existing recordings to be two mono tracks, that's possible. Just ask :)

JMK

Post by JMK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:10 pm

Wash boy:I just recorded one microphone plugged in to input one of my iPad Dock, the Input Matrix is set to Track one, made a recording, and the pan knob has no effect during playback. I am obviously still doing something wrong. Thank you. Mark

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:20 pm

JMK wrote:Wash boy:I just recorded one microphone plugged in to input one of my iPad Dock, the Input Matrix is set to Track one, made a recording, and the pan knob has no effect during playback. I am obviously still doing something wrong. Thank you. Mark
In your test recording, did you create Track 1 as mono or stereo? After the recording is it mono or stereo?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Also, do you have any fx plugins (reverb, echo, etc.) on the track you're recording to?

JMK

Post by JMK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:48 pm

I created a new project, set the input matrix to input one track one, pushed the track record button, the main record button and play then played my instrument into one microphone ---no effects, no reverb, nothing else. During playback the pan knob has no effect. Thank you for your help. Mark

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Sorry Mark, but I don't think you answered my question, i.e. when you added track 1, you had the choice of MIDI, Mono or Stereo - did you opt for mono or stereo? It needs to be a mono track :)

EDITED for clarity.

JMK

Post by JMK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:07 pm

When I created a new project, I selected (e.g.) 8 tracks, bit rate, and saved. I did not see a mono/stereo choice. When I create a new project, should I select zero tracks and then use the add track function? Thanks again. Mark

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:03 pm

Yes, create an empty project, manually add a track and the mono option will appear. Select the input you want and you should be in business. (BTW, when you create a project with default audio tracks, they are all stereo).

Otherwise the steps you followed sound correct. In regards to what sounds like a two mic approach - just create two mono tracks, select inputs, arm and record. Not as convenient as one pan knob but should get you there.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:24 pm

Hmm? I've never really thought about this. As far as I'm aware, the tracks created by the New Project dialog will be mono tracks. As a test I just now created a new project and selected 2 tracks:
image.jpeg
Auria New Project Dialog
Notice that, with a simple 2-channel USB audio interface attached, Auria automagically assigned one channel to each mono track in the Input Matrix:
image.jpeg
Auria's Input Matrix showing two input channels assigned to mono tracks
Now, when I add a third (stereo) track, Auria assigns both available channels to that track:
image.jpeg
Auria's Input Matrix showing two input channels assigned to mono and stereo tracks
Note the little 'infinity' symbol at the very top of the track meter of the stereo (3rd) track. That symbol indicates it's a stereo track.

Does that match what you're seeing, Mark?

JMK

Post by JMK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:53 pm

Yes, when starting a new project and I select (e.g.) 8 tracks they are all mono (i.e., no infinity sign). Tomorrow I will start with zero tracks and specifically add a mono track to see if that works. However, I can see no reason why the pan function does not work with the mono tracks of my existing recording...very frustrating. I really appreciate your time in trying to help me. Mark

creARTiv

Post by creARTiv » Sun May 01, 2016 2:10 am

Another way is to check your Outside Routing. Auria have a Monobutton. If this ohne is on, you cant heare any panning Sound. You can find this in the FX Menu of your Masterfader. Check your Monitors or perhaps connect Earphones to your IPad directly for testing Stereo Output.

JMK

Post by JMK » Mon May 02, 2016 9:10 am

Panning a track should not be this difficult. I switched to Cubasis. Thanks to all who tried to help. Mark