Panning

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washboy
Expert

Re: Panning

Post by Washboy » Mon May 02, 2016 9:37 am

JMK wrote:Panning a track should not be this difficult. I switched to Cubasis. Thanks to all who tried to help. Mark
Pleased to hear that Cubasis works well for you, Mark. Different strokes... :)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue May 03, 2016 11:37 am

good luck
Last edited by Anthony Alves on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JMK

Post by JMK » Tue May 03, 2016 6:31 pm

Anthony:

I am using a Focusrite iPad dock with an iPad 4, iOS 9.3.1. I recorded a mono track with one Octava microphone. My headphones and monitors were plugged into the iPad dock. I successfully recorded the track, the slider works, the effects, work, I could hear the sound through the headphones and monitor and I could edit, but the panning knob does not change the sound field to left or right. I used no plug-ins, I did not route anything anywhere--input one to track one with the output to the master left/right. I even deleted Auria Pro and reinstalled it to my iPad, started with zero tracks, added a mono track, made a recording, and did nothing else other than listen to the playback. I then turned pan knob full left and the sound did not change at all.

I actually made a four track recording, was able to do all the "complex" actions in the program, mix it down, and sent the mix to my brother. But the simple act of turning the pan knob made no effect to any of the four mono tracks.

It would be helpful if you list every step I need to, for example, record two mono tracks and be able to hear the pan effect.

I have had much input from nice folks on this forum and info directly from Wavelabs. So far people have asked many questions and I have answered them, but have not learned from anyone re how to get the panning. Auria may be more sophisticated than Cubasis, but actually the first few steps to make a recording are nearly identical, but the panning function works.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 am

@JMK : Your situation is indeed frustrating and peculiar. That's why you've been asked so many questions - attempting to figure out what might be anomalous about your particular setup and workflow.

At face value, what you're doing should work - exactly as it does for those of us trying to advise. The fact that the same principles, applied with exactly the same hardware setup, work for you as expected in Cubasis but not in Auria is baffling.

If I were in your position I would minimise the variables and get down to basics, i.e.:
  • Remove your iPad from the iTrack Dock, connect headphones (earbuds will do) to the iPad's headphone jack and use the iPad's built-in mic for input.

Start a new project in Auria and add one mono track.

If you wish, check the Input Matrix to confirm 'Mic' is linked to Track 1.

RecEnable Track 1 and make some noise so that it's picked up by the internal mic - confirming track meter activity and that the audio signal is 'central' in headphones.

Sweep the pan knob left & right, while making noise, and confirm the signal pans as anticipated.

Press Rec and Play and record a few seconds of sound. Press Stop and Rewind.

Un-RecEnable Track 1.

Press Play and sweep the pan knob left & right during playback, confirming the signal pans as expected.
Assuming the foregoing works satisfactorily:
  • Rewind to start and quit Auria.

Remove headphones, plug iPad into dock in recommended manner and plug in headphones only - no mic(s).

Start Auria (it will still have the test project already loaded).

Press Play and sweep the pan knob left & right during playback, confirming the signal pans as expected.
Does the signal pan?

JMK

Post by JMK » Wed May 04, 2016 7:49 am

I performed the first scenario in your post. The pan control made no difference. The control does not work in GarageBand either. Could it possibly be the iPad? If so, that would be incredible in that all the other Auria functions work great. Have you ever heard of this happening?

Again, I appreciate your time and help.

Mark

JMK

Post by JMK » Wed May 04, 2016 8:22 am

BTW: I only thought it worked in Cubasis at first--it seemed the sound was effected some and changing the pan caused he twin track line meters to react, so I assumed too quickly the pan function was working. I could see it, but not hear it. Sorry for that confusion, but it again points to the iPad as the problem.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Wed May 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Just a shot in the dark - but in iOS Settings/General/Accessibility, under Hearing there is a switch for Mono. Is that on?

JMK

Post by JMK » Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 pm

Wigglelights: You solved solved the problem!! That is all it was--I switched to stereo and the panning function works. Thank you for your help and everybody's efforts to help. Mark

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu May 05, 2016 7:18 am

Brilliant catch, @Wigglelights 8) I didn't even know that system setting exists!

Glad you're up 'n' running again, @JMK. Enjoy Auria :)

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Thu May 05, 2016 10:14 am

Yeah, once @JMK mentioned it seemed to be all apps were mono I figured it had to be a system setting somewhere. Who knew :o ?

Glad it worked!

JMK

Post by JMK » Thu May 05, 2016 2:01 pm

Washboy: Your step-by-step problem analysis post on 5/4 helped this problem be discovered. I appreciate your time and concern to help. Mark

dkhbrit
Expert

Post by dkhbrit » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:35 am

Sorry to bring an old thread back. I'm having a similar issue. Recording a mono track and sending it back to channel 1 on my Tascam Model 24. If I use the pan in Auria it isn't panning in my monitors. It is panning if I plug headphones into the ipad and I can pan it using the pan knob on the Tascam.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:30 am

When sending a track to hardware the daw acts like a router and sends the signal directly to the hardware output like your Tascam. In order for a track to be panned it requires that track to be sent to a stereo bus. If you wanted to pan and adjust the volume of that track so that you can automate the pan and volume, you would have to create a stereo track in Auria and set it as a buss track and send the mono track to that stereo bus track. Now send that buss track to 2 channels on your tascam and pan those to two channels on your tascam, one channel hard left and the other channel hard right. Now make sure you send the track you want to pan to that stereo bus in Auria and you will now hear the panning because you are using stereo. The reason you hear the panning on your headphones plugged into the iPad is because the master bus is the stereo signal being sent to the headphones. So remember that you can only pan a track if it is being sent to a stereo buss. If you send a track to hardware Auria sends that signal before the pan and fader because Auria is set up that way to assume that you are using the Tascam to pan that track. But by sending the track to a bus then sending that bus to hardware you can now pan that mono track and adjust its volume. Good luck.

dkhbrit
Expert

Post by dkhbrit » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:44 pm

Thank you, that makes sense now.