external storage

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Phil999
Expert

external storage

Post by Phil999 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:37 am

this has been discussed before, but since I've got my first wireless harddrive I still have a few questions. It's a WD Passport wireless pro.

- is it possible to copy a project (folder containing project file, MIDI data, and audio files) in and out of Auria?

Well that's actually only one question, but many more questions related to this one.

Washboy
Expert

Re: external storage

Post by Washboy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:06 pm

Auria Pro allows you to 'Menu -> Save Project -> Save Project to Other App'. If the WD Passport wireless has an associated iOS app then that's the 'Other App' you would save the project to and then use that app to actually write to the WD drive. The Auria project would actually be saved as a compressed zip file.

Going in the other direction, you would use the WD app to "Open In' the project zip in Auric Pro. The WD app would copy the zip file to Auria Pro and AP will uncompress the zip automatically, thus restoring the project. You would then use 'Menu -> Open Project' in the usual way.

If the WD Passport doesn't have a dedicated app then you can use apps such as FileBrowser or Goodreader to read/write to the wireless drive instead (as a NAS/SMB/Samba device).

Happy to provide more detailed info as required :)

EDIT: I think the app you need is WD My Cloud by Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
https://appsto.re/gb/4wh3A.i

Phil999
Expert

Re: external storage

Post by Phil999 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:10 am

thank you very much Washboy, this is the solution. I forgot about 'Save Project to Other App', I should have known. The WD app doesn't allow files (archives) to 'open in', but it is possible, as you said, with FileBrowser.

This is really great. Although it's not a very fast process (projects are transferred at KB/s speeds*) it works perfectly well. Together with this wifi-harddrive there are no storage limits for my Auria projects.

*actually only from computer to WD external drive over wifi. Other file copying actions are fast.