Convolution Reverb - Cab IRs

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Savage1969

Convolution Reverb - Cab IRs

Post by Savage1969 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:46 pm

Auria Pro v2.08: I believe there is a bug with the Convolution Reverb. It is not loading wav based IR files properly. The simplest way to recreate the issue is to start a new blank project (at either 44.1 or 48k depending on the IR to be used), insert an audio track, import a pre-recorded dry guitar track of your choice in to the audio track, in the Channel Strip only insert the Convolution Reverb (no other effects/amp sim), load a cab IR from within Convolution Reverb with default parameters (except full Mix) and press play in transport.

No matter what IR I use (I have many packs from most popular suppliers, literally thousands of IRs) the sound is from the default reverb IR even though the selection and waveform displayed are that of the particular wav cab IR. Now select and unselect the Low CPU Mode while playing the audio track (while the cab IR is still selected) and the sound becomes completely dry. Something odd is going on and I cannot isolate the cause. Any one else care to test the above? Thanks.

Note: for what it's worth, I do not experience these IR issues if I use "another brand's" convolution as an insert instead of the built-in Convolution Reverb.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Convolution Reverb - Cab IRs

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:53 pm

This sounds like an issue with the reverb reading the WAV files. if it can't read a particular WAV file, it will default to the previous file. Have you tried various files to see if a few of them might have an issue?

Rim

Savage1969

Post by Savage1969 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Thank you for your response. So far I've loaded various IR examples from Ownhammer, cabIR, Underground Impulses, Wilkinson Audio, Recabinet, Catharsis, Rosen, and RedWirez. I've tried files in both 200ms and 500ms, 16 and 24 bit, and in a 44.1k project and a 48k project (just to help narrow things down). Are there any particular WAV file properties that are restricted in Convolution that you are aware of? I'm not sure how else to narrow down the issue. Again, no issue when loading them into another brand's convolution so I don't think my vast file selection and types are the cause but I'm willing to try what you suggest. Maybe you can try on your end too? Thanks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:54 pm

I'll add it to my list to investigate. Something might have broken in an update... The only restriction is it needs to be a stereo file, other than that, and WAAV file should work.

Rim

Savage1969

Post by Savage1969 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:45 am

Good morning Rim. Well that must be the issue then. I'm not sure how others have used cab IRs in the past with Convolution Reverb since all cab IRs are mono by nature unless Convolution was changed at some point.

Analysis: Just now tried the following: Created another blank project. Added mono track via menu, imported mono audio into the track, within ChannelStrip selected Convolution Reverb (mono), loaded cab IR WAV (all of them are mono), verified in insert that Convolution is still stating (mono) and not (stereo), still no joy. To cover bases I then changed selected Convolution Reverb insert to (stereo) with track and audio unchanged at mono, loaded mono cab IR file, no joy either (as expected). Note that the stock reverb IRs do work as intended on a mono track (mono output if mono insert is selected, stereo output if mono/stereo insert is selected).

Conclusion: If I have this correct, Convolution Reverb has three possible instantiations: mono, mono/stereo, and stereo. I'm thinking that the mono instantiation should handle only mono IRs and output only in mono by design, right? If so, it is not functioning correctly.

Regards.