Record monitoring [solved]

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jmcmillan

Record monitoring [solved]

Post by Jmcmillan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:17 am

Beginner question I think :D
I have a very simple setup, iPad Air 2/USB mic/61key MIDI keyboard. No audio interface yet. Will spend some money later - making use of what I had already to learn.

After recording instrument tracks, I record the vocal tracks using software record monitoring. This is using basically just the master signal. So am I right that the only way to adjust the monitor mix in my ears while I sing is to adjust the volume faders on each channel? Is there a way to setup a custom monitor mix in Auria Pro with my simple setup?
Last edited by Jmcmillan on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austinn

Re: Record monitoring

Post by Austinn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:29 am

Wait, so you're using the built in iPad mic and you're wondering if there is gain control? Is that the question?

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:59 am

Using a USB mic (Samson C01U) connected with Apple USB3 Camera Connection adapter. Not using built in mic.

I have to turn on software record monitoring (there's no hardware monitoring with this USB mic), but I want to control the mix in my headphones when recording audio tracks. I have three other MIDI tracks playing while I'm recording the audio track.

The manual says the software record monitoring option just send a Master Mix to the headphones, but I want to adjust the mix in my headphones while recording audio tracks (e.g. make the vocal track louder than the MIDI tracks while recording). I think I have to temporarily adjust the channel faders, but wondering if there is another way.

Austinn

Post by Austinn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Hmmm, I've never personally used this setup, but I don't see how there could be a way to control gain without any sort of interface.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:27 am

Is there's an issue with adjusting the channel faders? That's normally how you would do it, yes,

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:24 am

No issue, just making sure that's the best way with my setup.
Thanks!
Jon